Subject: [Pce] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5440 (2941)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 02:28:10 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5440,
"Path Computation Element (PCE) Communication Protocol (PCEP)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5440&eid=2941

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Ramon Casellas <[email-masked]>

Section: 10.7.1

Original Text
-------------
 o  PCEP uses a single registered port for all communications.  The
    PCE SHOULD listen for TCP connections only on ports where
    communication is expected.

 o  The PCE SHOULD NOT allow parallel TCP connections from the same
    PCC on the PCEP-registered port.

Corrected Text
--------------
 o  PCEP uses a single registered port for all communications.  The
    PCE MUST listen for TCP connections only on ports where
    communication is expected.

 o  The PCE MUST NOT allow parallel TCP connections from the same
    PCC on the PCEP-registered port.

Notes
-----
RFC 5440 is not consistent regarding the use of RFC2119 keywords. In section 5 the RFC states "MUST" regarding the registered port and in section 10.7.1 it is stated "SHOULD". Section 10.7.1 seems to imply the PCE could listen at any port (which is technically possible, but not in line with the rest of the document). Finally, the restriction about multiple connections is confusing: Section 4.2.1 "Only one PCEP session can exist between a pair of PCEP peers at any one time" but section 10.7.1 uses "SHOULD NOT". Technically, without the TCP source restriction, it should be possible to accept multiple connections from a PCEP peer, but such a change could have broader implications

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5440 (draft-ietf-pce-pcep-19)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Path Computation Element (PCE) Communication Protocol (PCEP)
Publication Date    : March 2009
Author(s)           : JP. Vasseur, Ed., JL. Le Roux, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Path Computation Element
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG