Subject: [Pce] FW: PCE domain name vs DNS domain name in draft-wu-pce-dns-pce-discovery-02

From: Qin Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 08:53:57 +0000

Hi,folks:
In Berlin meeting, one open issue we raised and discussed in the PCE WG 
session is about the relationship between PCE domain and DNS domain.

The interesting questions related to this issue are 

a.should DNS queries be based on domain name? 

b. How do we look up PCE in AS200 or ISIS area 0? 

c.Is there any mechanism to link the IGP area or AS to the DNS namespace.

To address this issue, we authors of this draft have a lot of private discussion
on this. My thought is PCE domain is totally different from
DNS domain name, one DNS domain name may be corresponding to one PCE domain or 
multiple PCE domains, one PCE domains may be also corresponding to
Multiple DNS domains.

RFC6120, section 3.2.4 mentions a method, which uses SRV record with an add on service, 
we can follow this example, add PCE domain (e.g.,AS200) as subdomain of DNS domain name 
(e.g.,AS200.example.com). When one DNS domain has multiple PCE domain, we can support
multiple SRV record for the same DNS domain (e.g.,AS200.example.com, AS10.example.com,
ISIS.Area8.example.com associated with "example.com" DNS domain name).

In addition, section 5.1 of RFC6408 gives an example:
"
5.1.  Examples

   As an example, consider a client that wishes to discover a Diameter
   server in the ex1.example.com realm that supports the Credit Control
   application.  The client performs a NAPTR query for that domain, and
   the following NAPTR records are returned:

       ;;        order pref flags service   regexp replacement
       IN NAPTR  50    50   "s"   "aaa:diameter.sctp" ""
                    _diameter._sctp.ex1.example.com
       IN NAPTR  50    50   "s"   "aaa+ap1:diameter.sctp" ""
                    _diameter._sctp.ex1.example.com
       IN NAPTR  50    50   "s"   "aaa+ap4:diameter.sctp" ""
                    _diameter._sctp.ex1.example.com

"
So following this example, if we want to look up PCE server in the AS200,
we can have something like "pc+app1:pce.tcp",app1 is corresponding to
intra-AS application with  _pce._tcp.AS200.example.com as result.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Regards!
-Qin
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2013 3:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-wu-pce-dns-pce-discovery-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Path Computation Element (PCE) Discovery using Domain Name System(DNS)
	Author(s)       : Qin Wu
                          Dhruv Dhody
                          Daniel King
                          Diego R. Lopez
	Filename        : draft-wu-pce-dns-pce-discovery-02.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2013-08-11

Abstract:
   Discovery of the Path Computation Element (PCE) within an IGP area or
   routing domain is possible using OSPF [RFC5088] and IS-IS [RFC5089].
   However, in some deployment scenarios PCEs may not wish, or be able,
   to participate within the IGP process, therefore it would be
   beneficial for the Path Computation Client (PCC) (or other PCEs) to
   discover PCEs via an alternative mechanism to those proposed in
   [RFC5088] and [RFC5089].

   This document specifies the requirements, use cases, procedures and
   extensions to support discovery via DNS for PCE.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wu-pce-dns-pce-discovery

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wu-pce-dns-pce-discovery-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-wu-pce-dns-pce-discovery-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt