Subject: [Pce] Fwd: Writable MIB Module IESG Statement

From: Julien Meuric <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 15:00:24 +0100

Hi all.

FYI. This has been discussed within PCE, it is even better to have an 
IETF-wide orientation. We will consider this after publishing the MIBs 
already in the oven.

Julien

-------- Message original --------
Date:     Sun, 2 Mar 2014 10:01:43 -0800
From:     The IESG <[email-masked]>

The IESG is aware of discussions in the OPS area and in a number of
working groups about the current practice for standards-based approaches
to configuration. The OPS area has shown strong support for the use of
NETCONF/YANG while many working groups continue to specify MIB modules
for this purpose. The IESG wishes to clarify this situation with this
statement:

- IETF working groups are therefore encouraged to use the NETCONF/YANG
   standards for configuration, especially in new charters.

- SNMP MIB modules creating and modifying configuration state should
   only be produced by working groups in cases of clear utility and
   consensus to use SNMP write operations for configuration,  and in
   consultation with the OPS ADs/MIB doctors.