Subject: [Pce] Encoding in draft-ietf-pce-pcep-service-aware

From: Dhruv Dhody <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:21:56 +0000

Hi All, 

In the service-aware draft [1], the new metric type encoding were similar to the IGP ([2][3]) encoding with 24-bits integer format.  

In this we deviated from RFC5440 [4] and other metric types where the metric value is always encoded in 32-bits in IEEE floating point format [5].

The authors discussed and wanted to align it to the rest of PCEP and use 32-bits floating point instead. 

Please find the attached update and the diff file for your reference. 

WG, please let us know if you disagree with this change. 

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pce-pcep-service-aware-07#section-4.1.1.1
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7471
[3] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-te-metric-extensions-07.txt
[4] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5440#section-7.8
[5] http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/servlet/opac?punumber=4610933

Regards,
Dhruv (on behalf of co-authors)

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 10:04:22 +0100

Just the obvious comment that while consistency within PCE is good, yet
YANG shows no signs of being able to model floating point values.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dhruv Dhody" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 1:21 PM
Subject: [Pce] Encoding in draft-ietf-pce-pcep-service-aware

Hi All,

In the service-aware draft [1], the new metric type encoding were
similar to the IGP ([2][3]) encoding with 24-bits integer format.

In this we deviated from RFC5440 [4] and other metric types where the
metric value is always encoded in 32-bits in IEEE floating point format
[5].

The authors discussed and wanted to align it to the rest of PCEP and use
32-bits floating point instead.

[1]
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pce-pcep-service-aware-07#section
-4.1.1.1
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7471
[3]
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-te-metric-extensions
-07.txt
[4] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5440#section-7.8
[5] http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/servlet/opac?punumber=4610933

Regards,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------

> _______________________________________________
> Pce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce
>

---

From: Dhruv Dhody <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 14:06:31 +0000

Hi Tom, 

Looks like you are poking the dead 
http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/netmod/yang-1.1/issues.html#sec-41 marked "dead" :)

Interesting to see that ODL used base64 (https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/BGP_LS_PCEP:Troubleshooting) here. 

Dhruv

> -----Original Message-----
> From: t.petch [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 29 September 2015 14:34
> To: Dhruv Dhody; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Pce] Encoding in draft-ietf-pce-pcep-service-aware
>

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 17:31:04 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dhruv Dhody" <[email-masked]>
To: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 3:06 PM
Subject: RE: [Pce] Encoding in draft-ietf-pce-pcep-service-aware

Hi Tom,

Looks like you are poking the dead
http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/netmod/yang-1.1/issues.html#sec-41
marked "dead" :)

<tp>

It's a zombie that keeps on coming out of the grave.  Note that that
list is only for yang-1.1 issues; roll on yang-1.2, yang-2.0 etc; or
roll back to the issues that predated yang-1.1.  The WGs, several in the
Routing Area, that have used float in their protocols need either to
define their own type or to come up with one or more ways of
representing it with the existing types or not model that part of the
protocol or ...

I see this issue as good for a few years yet:-)

Tom Petch

Interesting to see that ODL used base64
(https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/BGP_LS_PCEP:Troubleshooting) here.

Dhruv

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
-
> -