Subject: [Pce] Document Action: 'Applicability of a Stateful Path Computation Element (PCE)' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-pce-stateful-pce-app-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 12:09:53 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Applicability of a Stateful Path Computation Element (PCE)'
  (draft-ietf-pce-stateful-pce-app-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Path Computation Element Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pce-stateful-pce-app/

Technical Summary

A stateful Path Computation Element (PCE) maintains information about
Label Switched Path (LSP) characteristics and resource usage within a
network in order to provide traffic engineering calculations for its
associated Path Computation Clients (PCCs).  This document describes
general considerations for a stateful PCE deployment and examines its
applicability and benefits, as well as its challenges and limitations.

Working Group Summary

This document contains text that was originally included in the base
stateful PCE protocol specification.  The WG decided to split the
text into a separate applicability statement to allow additional
use cases to be contributed and the whole document edited in parallel.
Use cases were contributed by several WG members for a variety of MPLS
and GMPLS applications.  There has been no particular controversy and
the consensus behind the document is good.

Document Quality

The text has been worked on over a long period and has been scrutinized
by several reviewers.  There are several stateful PCE implementations
covering the full range of scenarios presented by this applicability
statement.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Jonathan Hardwick
   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard