Subject: [Pce] Last Call: <draft-ietf-pce-pcep-extension-for-pce-controller-10.txt> (PCEP Procedures and Protocol Extensions for Using PCE as a Central Controller (PCECC) of LSPs) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 12:21:32 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Path Computation Element WG (pce) to
consider the following document: - 'PCEP Procedures and Protocol Extensions
for Using PCE as a Central
   Controller (PCECC) of LSPs'
  <draft-ietf-pce-pcep-extension-for-pce-controller-10.txt> as Proposed
  Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-02-08. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Path Computation Element (PCE) is a core component of Software-
   Defined Networking (SDN) systems.  It can compute optimal paths for
   traffic across a network and can also update the paths to reflect
   changes in the network or traffic demands.

   PCE was developed to derive paths for MPLS Label Switched Paths
   (LSPs), which are supplied to the head end of the LSP using the Path
   Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP).  But SDN has a
   broader applicability than signaled MPLS and GMPLS traffic-engineered
   (TE) networks, and the PCE may be used to determine paths in a range
   of use cases.  PCEP has been proposed as a control protocol for use
   in these environments to allow the PCE to be fully enabled as a
   central controller.

   A PCE-based Central Controller (PCECC) can simplify the processing of
   a distributed control plane by blending it with elements of SDN and
   without necessarily completely replacing it.  Thus, the LSP can be
   calculated/set up/initiated and the label forwarding entries can also
   be downloaded through a centralized PCE server to each network device
   along the path, while leveraging the existing PCE technologies as
   much as possible.

   This document specifies the procedures and PCEP extensions for using
   the PCE as the central controller.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pce-pcep-extension-for-pce-controller/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.