Subject: [Pce] Fwd: secdir review of draft-ietf-pce-association-policy-15

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 09:42:01 +0100

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Date: 	Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:41:09 -0800
From: 	Scott G. Kelly <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked]

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security
area directors. Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
comments just like any other last call comments.

The summary of the review is ready.

From the abstract, this document introduces a simple mechanism to
associate policies to a group of Label Switched Paths (LSPs) via an
extension to the Path Computation Element (PCE) Communication Protocol
(PCEP).

The security considerations section references security considerations
from RFCs 5394, 5440, 8231, 8281, 8408, and 8697. In addition, it
recommends securing sessions with TLS in accordance with RFCs 8253 and 7525.

Because this protocol extension utilizes TLVs, there is an explicit call
for care in decoding and utilizing these TLVs due to the potential for
attack via malformed payloads.

I'm not a routing expert, but I think the authors have adequately
covered security considerations for this extension.