Subject: [Pce] RFC 9168 on Path Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP) Extension for Flow Specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:53:02 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9168

        Title:      Path Computation Element Communication Protocol 
                    (PCEP) Extension for Flow Specification 
        Author:     D. Dhody,
                    A. Farrel,
                    Z. Li
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2022
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pce-pcep-flowspec-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9168

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9168

The Path Computation Element (PCE) is a functional component capable
of selecting paths through a traffic engineering (TE) network.  These
paths may be supplied in response to requests for computation or may
be unsolicited requests issued by the PCE to network elements.  Both
approaches use the PCE Communication Protocol (PCEP) to convey the
details of the computed path.

Traffic flows may be categorized and described using "Flow
Specifications".  RFC 8955 defines the Flow Specification and
describes how Flow Specification components are used to describe
traffic flows.  RFC 8955 also defines how Flow Specifications may be
distributed in BGP to allow specific traffic flows to be associated
with routes.

This document specifies a set of extensions to PCEP to support
dissemination of Flow Specifications.  This allows a PCE to indicate
what traffic should be placed on each path that it is aware of.

The extensions defined in this document include the creation, update,
and withdrawal of Flow Specifications via PCEP and can be applied to
tunnels initiated by the PCE or to tunnels where control is delegated
to the PCE by the Path Computation Client (PCC). Furthermore, a PCC
requesting a new path can include Flow Specifications in the request
to indicate the purpose of the tunnel allowing the PCE to factor this
into the path computation.

This document is a product of the Path Computation Element Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC