Subject: [PCN] PCN WG work items for Nov 2007

From: "Kwok-Ho Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:18:40 +0100

Hi all:
Since the Monday PCN WG session at Prague IETF, couple of people
have approached me informally on the hall way, during breaks, etc,
indicated they would like to help in the PCN work items.

I have talked to Steven (but did not get a chance to talk to Scott yet)
on holding a quick meeting while most of us are at Prague,
to get the work on the first couple of PCN WG work items started.
Steven have given his support on this.

Hence how about a quick meeting:
When:   Wed March 21, 2007  16:30 (20 minutes into the cookie break)
Where:  IETF Registration Desk

This will give us half an hour to talk before Plenary starts.
Notice we may overflow into the Plenary if necessary.

The topic will be to get a good sense on who wants to do what and
how we may divide and focus on the different pieces.

For people who can not attend, please send mail to the PCN list, 
Chairs, or myself
if you choose to, on your interest and what, how you may want to help.

Thank you for all the energy and interest and hope to see you at the 
quick meeting
indicated above.
-- Kwok --

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn

---

From: "Kwok-Ho Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:08:14 +0100

Bob's Pre-BoF on Re-ECN over-ran and most of the people are in this Pre-BoF.
But we also have people that need to leave.
Hence we need to re-schedule  our working meeting to tomorrow:
When:   Thur March 22, 2007  17:00
Where:  IETF Registration Desk

Sorry for this re-scheduling, but most of the attendees are impacted
because they are in this Re-ECN Pre-BoF.
Thanks!
-- Kwok --

---

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:30:30 +0000

Hi Kwok

Thanks, I will be there!

Best regards,
Georgios

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:01:10 +0100

> Where:  IETF Registration Desk

I'd like to attend, but overlapping with the plenary is highly  
problematic.

Lars

---

From: "Kwok-Ho Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:30:16 +0100

Lars and all:
The time selection was to minimize scheduling conflict and based
on suggestions I received.

I think we can easily give up some cookie time and start this
meeting 10 minutes after the second TSVWG session today.

Hence the latest (hopefully last) re-schedule for our working meeting:
When:   Thur March 22, 2007  16:20  ( TODAY )
Where:  IETF Registration Desk

I am thinking of moving to one of the seating areas to the right
of the IETF Registration desk (close to the Lower Level entrance where
we boarded the bus for the social) for our discussion, so if you arrive late
and don't see us at the IETF Registration Desk, come look for us there.

This should give Lars 10 minutes to talk to people after TSVWG
and 10 minutes for the rest of us to get cookies.
(Lars, let us know if you want us to reserve a cookie or two for you).

If the meeting last more than 40 minutes, Lars will at least get some
overview of what is going on.

Sorry for some of these last minute scheduling changes.
-- Kwok --

---

From: "Kwok-Ho Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:58:38 -0400

Hi all:
We held the meeting mentioned (attached original E-Mail) on
Thur March 22, 2007 16:30 (Prague time).

We had a fruitful meeting.
Please see my meeting notes below for details.

Please correct/add-to/delete-from the meeting notes as I may have
mis-interpreted, missed some points discussed during our meeting.

Attendees: please check your names+e-mail, I may have made mistakes reading
your writing on the attendees sheet.

We welcome additional volunteers who want to add their name to the 
volunteers list.
Thanks!
-- Kwok --

Kwok's Notes on the PCN Work Item Meeting on Thur March 22, 2007 @ Prague

Attendees:
Kwok Ho Chan ([email-masked]),
Tina Tsou ([email-masked]),
Ken Young ([email-masked]),
Etsushi Ohyama ([email-masked])
Michael Scharf ([email-masked]),
Joe Babiarz ([email-masked])
Shoichi Senda ([email-masked]),
Ruediger Geib ([email-masked])
Michael Menth ([email-masked]) (not present but 
wanted to help)
Georgios Karagiannis ([email-masked]),
Philip Eardley ([email-masked])
Anna Charny ([email-masked]),
Bob Briscoe ([email-masked])
Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) (attended the first half)

Meeting Notes:
We held this quick meeting for doing a start of the initial PCN WG work items:
1. "Flow Admission and Termination Architecture within a Diffserv Domain",
     Informational RFC, Nov 2007.
2. "Survey of Encoding and Transport Choices of (Pre-)Congestion Information
     within a DiffServ Domain", Informational RFC, Nov 2007.
3. "(Pre-)Congestion Detection within a DiffServ Domain", Proposed 
Standard RFC,
     Mar 2008.

Discussion Results:

For "Flow Admission and Termination Architecture within a Diffserv Domain":
- We want this document to be at a high level, somewhere between the current
   Problem Statement draft and the CL Arch draft.
- List of volunteers interested to work on this draft:
   Kwok Ho Chan, Tina Tsou, Ken Young, Joe Babiarz, Ruediger Geib, 
Micheal Menth,
   Philip Eardley, Anna Charny
- Action Items:
   1. Philip Eardley to take architectural sections from the current 
CL-Arch draft and Problem
       Statement draft to create the first cut of the new WG work 
item #1.  This is to be at
       a high level and should avoid the specific deployment model 
from the CL-Arch draft.
   2. Kwok Ho Chan to create the initial Terminology Section for the 
WG work item #1.
       During our meeting, we determined we should try to have the 
terminology be part of
       the Architecture document to start, and move it to another 
draft later if we need to.
       We should try to keep the terminology section short and try to 
reuse previously defined
       terms whenever possible.
   3. The above action items should be completed in April 2007.  All 
volunteers for WG work
       item #1 (and others) should review/comment/add-to the first cut version.
- Goal: We should have the second version (-01) ready for WG review 
before Chicago (69th) IETF.

For "Survey of Encoding and Transport Choices of (Pre-)Congestion 
Information within a DiffServ Domain":
- Need to have the Chairs clarify the meaning of "Transport Choices" 
for this WG work item.
   May want to start by having a discussion of this on the WG list.
- Need to work closely with Sally Floyd on this.  Need to use Sally's 
RFC on this topic as guidance.
- List of volunteers interested to work on this draft:
   Kwok Ho Chan, Joe Babiarz, Georgios Karagiannis, Anna Charny
- Action Items:
   1. Georgios Karagiannis to take the Appendix C of current CL-PHB 
draft and create the
       first cut of the new WG work item #2.
   2. All volunteers for WG work item #2 (and others) should 
review/comment/add-to the
       first cut version.
- Goal: We should at least have the first version (-00) ready for WG 
review before Chicago (69th) IETF.

For "(Pre-)Congestion Detection within a DiffServ Domain":
- We agreed this work item milestone is the hardest one to meet because of the
   technical complexity and detail work required to execute this work 
item correctly.
- During our discussion, we have identified that we may need another 
draft (a new
   WG Work Item) for the successful execution of this work item.
   A draft on Criteria for Comparison of the different methods of 
"(Pre-)Congestion Detection".
- Joe Babiarz indicated there is a (Pre)Congestion Admission Control 
Detection draft
   (companion to the Explicit Marking (for Flow 
Termination/Pre-emption) draft) coming.
- Need to indicate/include dependencies between Detection and Encoding.
- Action Items:
   1. Anna Charny to create the first cut of the "Criteria for 
Comparing Detection Methods" draft.
       Each methods' authors will provide Anna with list of criteria 
each thinks is needed.
       I think someone called this the "beauty contest rules" draft.  :)
       Goal: Have at least the first version (-00) of this new draft 
ready before the Chicago (69th) IETF.
   2. All "(Pre-)Congestion Detection Method" authors should continue 
to improve on their individual
       drafts.
   3. Geogios Karagiannis, Shoichi Senda, and others may want to 
consider adding other
       Detection Method drafts.
- Goal: Get the process started early for this difficult milestone.

End of Kwok's Notes on the PCN Work Item Meeting on Thur March 22, 
2007 @ Prague.