Subject: [PCN] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt

From: "Kwok-Ho Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 23:38:17 -0400

Hi all:
Please see the attached E-Mail on the posting of the PCN Architecture draft.
On behave of the editor of this draft: Phil, and the co-authors of this draft,
we would like to request for reviews and comments of this draft and welcome
any comments for improvements.

Please send your comments/discussions of this draft on the PCN list.

Thank you for your interest and review of this draft!
-- Kwok on behave of the co-authors of this draft --

>To: [email-masked]
>Cc:
>From: [email-masked]
>Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:50:02 -0400
>X-Scan-Signature: b7b9551d71acde901886cc48bfc088a6
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt
>X-BeenThere: [email-masked]
>X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.5
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>List-Id: i-d-announce.ietf.org
>List-Unsubscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce>,
>  <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
>List-Archive: <http://www1.ietf.org/pipermail/i-d-announce>
>List-Post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
>List-Help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
>List-Subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce>,
>  <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
>X-Spam-Tests: FORGED_RCVD_HELO=0.05,MIME_BOUND_NEXTPART=0.106,
>  NO_REAL_NAME=0.178,TO_CC_NOT_NORTEL=1,URIBL_MANURI=4
>X-Spam-Score: 5.3
>X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.0.4 (2005-06-05) on ecarhea1.nortel.com
>X-DNSBL-Score: -50
>X-DNSBL-Servers: bl.nortel.com
>X-SMTP-HELO: megatron.ietf.org
>X-SMTP-MAIL-FROM: [email-masked]
>X-SMTP-RCPT-TO: 
>[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked]
>X-SMTP-PEER-INFO: odin.ietf.ORG [156.154.16.145]
>X-SMTP-REASON: PASSED
>X-SMTP-ID: 1182455563.14011407
>X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Jun 2007 19:52:44.0828 (UTC) 
>FILETIME=[BC4965C0:01C7B43D]
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
>directories.
>
>
>         Title           : Pre-Congestion Notification Architecture
>         Author(s)       : P. Eardley, et al.
>         Filename        : draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt
>         Pages           : 27
>         Date            : 2007-6-21
>
>    The purpose of this document is to describe a general architecture
>    for flow admission and termination based on aggregated (pre-)
>    congestion information in order to protect the quality of service of
>    established inelastic flows within a single DiffServ domain.
>
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt
>
>To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
>[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
>the message.
>You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
>to change your subscription settings.
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
>username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
>logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>"get draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>         [email-masked].
>In the body type:
>         "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt".
>
>NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>         MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>         exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>         up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>         how to manipulate these messages.
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>Content-Type: text/plain
>Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
>
>ENCODING mime
>FILE /internet-drafts/draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt
>
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt>
>_______________________________________________
>I-D-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:59:20 +0100

Hi all,

Just a reminder that all comments on this draft would be great. It aims
to describe the PCN architecture, in light of the PCN WG's Charter & its
Milestone of an Info doc on 'Flow Admission and Termination Architecture
within a Diffserv Domain' (due Nov 07).

S1 Introduction. 
This is quite short. If desired, it could be boosted with a general
explanation of where PCN fits into the picture of QoS and how it's
evolved (compare Section 1.1 of draft-chan-pcn-problem-statement-01)

S2 Terminology
In the "Editor's note" are 3 alternative terms that some of the authors
preferred. 

S3 Assumptions and constraints on scope
These are the 4 things mentioned in the Charter, plus some explanation
of them. Are they clear? Also we mention some of the ways that a future
revised Charter might look at overcoming some of the
constraints/assumptions; is this sub-section at the right depth?

S4 High-level functional architecture
We have tried to write this section (and the following ones) so that it
fits all the various proposals there've been for PCN mechanisms. Does
this make the section too wishy-washy or too hard to understand? Should
it include some comparison of the different mechanisms proposed
(PCN-interior-node marking algorithms & PCN-boundary-node reactions)?

S5 Detailed Functional architecture
Is this a reasonable description of the extra functionality that PCN
requires on various nodes in the PCN-domain? Is it the right way to
split up the description? For clarity / help reader's understanding,
should there be some specific examples of how functionality might be
distributed (eg "if you followed the deployment model in
draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-04, then this measurement is made at
the PCN-egress-node, communicated to the PCN-ingress-nodes which makes
the admission decision; etc.")

S6 Design goals and challenges
This briefly describes some open issues, taken from
briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture. Are there other ones that should be
mentioned? Is the problem description at the right level of depth?
Should we discuss various possible solutions to these problems?

S7 Deployment scenarios
Briefly describes some deployment scenarios for pcn? is this at the
right level of depth?

S8 Operations and Management
This section was written in response to the Charter saying that the
architecture document should include security, manageability and
operational considerations. The draft addresses this by providing some
thoughts under the FCAPS headings: OAM of Faults, Configuration,
Accounting, Performance and Security? Is this the right way of
structuring it - does it cover the right set of topics? Is the text at
the right level? - eg should it also have a detailed set of parameters
that would be available for configuration? 

An overall question is whether the draft should have more comparison of
the options (pros/cons) for various aspects.

I aim to edit another version of the draft before the ietf (but maybe
not before the deadline as I'm on hols next week).

Thanks!
Phil/ 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Kwok-Ho Chan [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 22 June 2007 04:38
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [PCN] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt
> 
> Hi all:
> On behave of the editor of this draft: Phil, and the co-authors of
this
> draft,
> >List-Unsubscribe:
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce>,
> >List-Subscribe:
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce>,
>[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],bharrath@nortel
.c
om,[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],simmonds@nortel
.c
om,[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked]
om
> >You can also visit
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
> >         "FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-eardley-pcn-architecture-00.txt".