Subject: [PCN] Drafts for Chicago

From: Steven Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:27:43 -0400

Another reminder: the I-D cut-off for -00 drafts for discussion at the
Chicago IETF is July 2.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Steven Blake                <[email-masked]>
Ericsson/Redback Networks               +1 919-472-9913

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn

---

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:10:55 +0100

Steven,

I've written/co-written three drafts motivated by PCN, but with more 
general applicability. So we're discussing them in tsvwg (one is already a 
WG draft) and we've asked to present all three in TSVWG at Chicago.

Summary of each is pasted below - with brief explanation of the relevance 
to PCN.

I'll try to always remember to cross-post if relevant to PCN.

If you would like them presented in PCN too at Chicago, just say. I could 
do a 3-slide summary of all three in 5mins, and people could visit tsvwg if 
they wanted more.

>1a/ "Layered Encapsulation of Congestion Notification"
>Presenter: Bob Briscoe [in tsvwg]
>draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-tunnel-00
>New initial I-D (tba shortly)
>2mins in PCN? [10mins reqested in tsvwg]

This one specifies the default ECN encapsulation/decapsulation behaviour 
for any Diffserv per-hop behaviour (PHB), because RFC3168 tunnelling got 
broken by the new IPsec architecture (RFC4301). But it also gives general 
principles to guide the design of alternate congestion marking behaviours 
for specific PHBs (with PCN specifically in mind) and for lower layer 
congestion notification schemes (with PCN over MPLS/ethernet etc in mind).

>1b/ "Explicit Congestion Marking in MPLS"
>Presenter: Bruce Davie [in tsvwg]
>draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-mpls-01.txt
>Approaching WG last call
>1min in PCN? [10mins req'd in tsvwg]

Includes how to make room for PCN marking in the MPLS EXP field, and the 
rules for push and pop behaviour.

>2/ "Byte and Packet Congestion Notification"
>Presenter: Bob Briscoe [in tsvwg]
>draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-00
>New initial I-D (tba shortly)
>2mins in PCN? [10mins req'd in tsvwg]

This one proposes rules for how to handle different packet sizes when 
congestion marking, with PCN marking specifically in mind (in brief: allow 
for packet size in the transport/edge gateways, not in the network layer 
marking algo).

Bob

>Another reminder: the I-D cut-off for -00 drafts for discussion at the

____________________________________________________________________________
Notice: This contribution is the personal view of the author and does not 
necessarily reflect the technical nor commercial direction of BT plc.
____________________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,                           Networks Research Centre, BT Research
B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.    +44 1473 645196