Subject: PCN for multidomain (was: [PCN] Drafts for Chicago)

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:18:47 +0100

Steven,

I forgot, there's a 4th PCN-related draft I plan to update before Chicago 
(link below).

It's outside the scope of the current charter, being about interconnection 
of multiple PCN domains.

But as that subject is explicitly down to "keep strongly in mind" for next 
rechartering, I assume it's OK to at least bring it to the w-g's attention.

This doc is designed to help in discussions about mark encoding. So I'm 
willing to present it within the PCN w-g whenever we get to that point in 
the discussions.

A number of people have suggested we should have an unofficial side mtg in 
Chicago about PCN for multi-domain. Would that be useful? Or do you (the 
co-chairs) want to keep this within the w-g session?

Whatever, so I get an idea of numbers, would anyone interested in 
multidomain (other than those who already met in Prague or sent apologies) 
pls contact me  (I'm away from mail for a week so don't expect an immediate 
reply).

-------
The current version recently expired, but you can get it from my pubs page.

"Emulating Border Flow Policing using Re-ECN on Bulk Data"
<http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/B.Briscoe/pubs.html#repcn>
draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-border-cheat-01

If I get it done before the -00 deadline I'll change its name to
draft-briscoe-re-pcn-border-cheat-00

Bob

>Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:10:55 +0100
>To: Steven Blake <[email-masked]>
>From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: [PCN] Drafts for Chicago
>Cc: pcn <[email-masked]>, "DAVIE, Bruce" <[email-masked]>, "TAY, June" 
><[email-masked]>
>Bcc: ƒ\Charging\design\PCN
>
>Steven,
>
>I've written/co-written three drafts motivated by PCN, but with more 
>general applicability. So we're discussing them in tsvwg (one is already a 
>WG draft) and we've asked to present all three in TSVWG at Chicago.
>
>Summary of each is pasted below - with brief explanation of the relevance 
>to PCN.
>
>I'll try to always remember to cross-post if relevant to PCN.
>
>If you would like them presented in PCN too at Chicago, just say. I could 
>do a 3-slide summary of all three in 5mins, and people could visit tsvwg 
>if they wanted more.
>
>>1a/ "Layered Encapsulation of Congestion Notification"
>>Presenter: Bob Briscoe [in tsvwg]
>>draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-tunnel-00
>>New initial I-D (tba shortly)
>>2mins in PCN? [10mins reqested in tsvwg]
>
>This one specifies the default ECN encapsulation/decapsulation behaviour 
>for any Diffserv per-hop behaviour (PHB), because RFC3168 tunnelling got 
>broken by the new IPsec architecture (RFC4301). But it also gives general 
>principles to guide the design of alternate congestion marking behaviours 
>for specific PHBs (with PCN specifically in mind) and for lower layer 
>congestion notification schemes (with PCN over MPLS/ethernet etc in mind).
>
>>1b/ "Explicit Congestion Marking in MPLS"
>>Presenter: Bruce Davie [in tsvwg]
>>draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-mpls-01.txt
>>Approaching WG last call
>>1min in PCN? [10mins req'd in tsvwg]
>
>Includes how to make room for PCN marking in the MPLS EXP field, and the 
>rules for push and pop behaviour.
>
>>2/ "Byte and Packet Congestion Notification"
>>Presenter: Bob Briscoe [in tsvwg]
>>draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-00
>>New initial I-D (tba shortly)
>>2mins in PCN? [10mins req'd in tsvwg]
>
>This one proposes rules for how to handle different packet sizes when 
>congestion marking, with PCN marking specifically in mind (in brief: allow 
>for packet size in the transport/edge gateways, not in the network layer 
>marking algo).
>
>
>Bob
>
>At 22:27 08/06/2007, Steven Blake wrote:
>>Another reminder: the I-D cut-off for -00 drafts for discussion at the
>>Chicago IETF is July 2.
>
>____________________________________________________________________________
>Notice: This contribution is the personal view of the author and does not 
>necessarily reflect the technical nor commercial direction of BT plc.
>____________________________________________________________________________
>Bob Briscoe,                           Networks Research Centre, BT Research
>B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.    +44 1473 645196

____________________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe, <[email-masked]>      Networks Research Centre, BT Research
B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.    +44 1473 645196 

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn

---

From: Steven Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:19:48 -0400

> draft-briscoe-re-pcn-border-cheat-00

I'm sorry to be blunt, but people who are worried about what PCN is
going to work on after it gets rechartered need to refocus on achieving
PCN's existing milestones under the current charter.  Progress on this
front, as gauged by what has been published or discussed on the list
since Prague, is not encouraging.

Regards,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Steven Blake                <[email-masked]>
Ericsson/Redback Networks               +1 919-472-9913

---

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:05:46 +0100

Steven,

>since Prague, is not encouraging.

Don't worry - it should all pop out in time. Phil Eardley is working on a 
PCN architecture doc with multiple authors. Anything with that number of 
authors takes a deal of time under the covers before a perfectly formed 
butterfly pops out of the chrysalis :)

Phil & I have split our work (within BT) so he keeps the current stuff 
going and I think about the next steps.

Bob