Subject: [PCN] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-babiarz-pcn-3sm-00.txt

From: "Jozef Babiarz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:17:54 -0400

Hi all,
In an email below there is a link to 00 version of pcn-3sm draft that
defines metering and marking for admission control and flow termination.
We call it three state PCN marking because there are three conditions,
packets are not marked, packets marked to indicate that admission of
additional flows should be stopped and finally condition where flows are
marked to indicate that termination is needed. This draft incorporates
the metering and marking approach for flow termination that was defined
in draft-babiarz-pcn-explicit-marking-00. 

Simulation results for the proposed "AR-metering and AS-re-marking" and
"SR-metering and ET-re-marking" will be published in a separate draft.

Regards, Joe
email:[email-masked]
Telephone:613-763-6098
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: July 3, 2007 11:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-babiarz-pcn-3sm-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Three State PCN Marking
	Author(s)	: J. Babiarz, et al.
	Filename	: draft-babiarz-pcn-3sm-00.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 2007-7-3
	
   This document proposes metering and marking mechanisms for PCN-
   enabled nodes to label packets with pre-congestion information.  The
   marker marks all PCN packets with an admission-stop (AS) codepoint if
   the PCN traffic rate on a link exceeds its admissible rate (AR) and
   when it exceeds its supportable rate (SR), it marks some of those
   packets exceeding SR with an excess-traffic (ET) codepoint.  The
   flows with ET-marked packets will be terminated until the aggregate
   PCN traffic on the path decreases below its SR.  This document
   proposes metering and marking mechanisms for these objectives.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-babiarz-pcn-3sm-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-babiarz-pcn-3sm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-babiarz-pcn-3sm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:06:57 +0100

Joe

Your draft has the slow-down parameter "s" (when ET-marking ==
termination-marking, measure the excess traffic rate and actually mark a
fraction (1/s) of this rate).

Does "s" have to be the same on all routers in the PCN-domain? I'm not
sure this is a requirement, but what would happen if the "s" parameter
was different? 

Thanks
Phil/ 

> From: Jozef Babiarz [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 03 July 2007 18:18
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [PCN] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-babiarz-pcn-3sm-00.txt
> 
> Hi all,

---

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:18:58 +0200

Hi Phil,

we do not require the slowdown parameter "s" to be the same for all 
links, but I currently cannot think of a case where it would be of a 
benefit when different values are used. It controls the aggressiveness 
of the marking and termination, therefore, it could be useful to have it 
different for different links. Maybe simulations will show ...?

Regards,

    Michael

[email-masked] wrote:
>> defines metering and marking for admission control and flow
>>     
> termination.
>   
>> additional flows should be stopped and finally condition where flows
>>     
> are
>   
>> the metering and marking approach for flow termination that was
>>     
> defined
>   
>> Simulation results for the proposed "AR-metering and AS-re-marking"
>>     
> and
>   
>>    enabled nodes to label packets with pre-congestion information.
>>     
> The
>   
>>    marker marks all PCN packets with an admission-stop (AS) codepoint
>>     
> if
>   

-- 
Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn

---

From: "Jozef Babiarz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:49:59 -0400

Hi Phil, just to add to what Michael wrote, there is no requirement for
"s" to be the same value within a domain. We have done simulations with
several different values and the "s" parameter controls how aggressively
overload condition is removed. In our simulations, we have used the
following formula to calculate a value for s for voice traffic; IP data
rate of a flow (G.711 codec) x RTT (total route trip delay ingress to
egress) x 2 = s.
As Michael indicated we still need to do a bit more work to provide
guideless on a range of values for s that would be good to use in a
single domain, and multi domains. 

Regards, Joe
email:[email-masked]
Telephone:613-763-6098
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Menth [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: July 19, 2007 12:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Babiarz, Jozef (CAR:0S03); [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [PCN] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-babiarz-pcn-3sm-00.txt

Hi Phil,

Regards,

    Michael

[email-masked] wrote:
>> You can also visit
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce