Subject: [PCN] How to determine the ingress and egress node of a packet?

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:14:14 +0200

Hi,

PCN edge nodes require the following functions:

1) Upon an admission request, the ingress node needs to figure out to 
which egress node packets of a flow will be sent to. This information is 
required to determine the ingress-egress-aggregate associated with the 
new flow which is necessary for the admission decision. When probing is 
used for all requests, this function is not required as the probe 
packets are carried to the corresponding egress node according to the 
current routing in the network.

2) At each packet arrival, the egress node needs to associate the packet 
with its corresponding ingress-egress aggregate. This information is 
required to update the correct packet statistics for the CLE with the 
marking information of the packet.

Both problems seem similar to me. What's a viable solution of these 
problems such that it is feasible in practice? Ok, MPLS makes the 
mapping easy, but I guess we want to come up with a PCN solution that 
doesn't require MPLS?

Regards,

    Michael

-- 
Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn