Subject: [PCN] Architecture document / 5. Detailed functional architecture

From: "Geib, Ruediger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:25:07 +0100

Hi Phil,

while going through Joe's comments on the architecture I saw that 
the node functionalities are defined in a worrying way and 
partially incomplete:

Starting with:

"5.1. PCN-interior-node functions

Each interface of the PCN-domain is upgraded with the following
functionality:"

That means that *all* outgoing and incoming interfaces of a node 
must support *all* functions listed? I thought metering and 
marking to be outgoing IF requirements only.

5.2. PCN-ingress-node functions

Doesn't define the egress interface functionalities of the ingress 
node (Joe added them, but this requires an editorial review).

5.3. PCN-egress-node functions
Describes the "PCN domain egress interface" requirements. The PCN 
domain egress interface is the ingress interface of the egress node. 
This could be said at some place here.

Regards,

Ruediger

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:49:58 -0000

Hi Ruediger
Thanks - will think about how to tweak this - don't want to put anything
which is too implementation specific.

phil

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Geib, Ruediger [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 17 January 2008 10:25
> To: Eardley,PL,Philip,CXR9 R
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [PCN] Architecture document / 5. Detailed functional
architecture

---

From: "Jozef Babiarz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:18:20 -0500

Ruediger, Phil,
In the architecture draft we need to state that the metering and marking
function can be done on income interface or outgoing interface or both.
It should be left up to the equipment vendor to decide where the
metering and marking function is performed as long as it's specified in
the product so the network administrator knows where metering and
marking is performed.  The metering and marking needs to be done on the
link between the two nodes, so it does not matter which interface does
the function.

Regards, Joe
email:[email-masked]
Telephone:613-763-6098
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: January 21, 2008 5:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [PCN] Architecture document / 5. Detailed functional
architecture

Hi Ruediger

phil

architecture