Subject: [PCN] PCN References

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:21:35 +0100

I've been looking at references in the Architecture document.

I'd put everything as an Informative reference, due to mistaking that
Informational doc => Informative refs. 

http://www.rfc-editor.org/policy.html gives the following guidance:

"Normative references specify documents that must be read to understand
or implement the technology in the new RFC, or whose technology must be
present for the technology in the new RFC to work. An informative
reference is not normative; rather, it only provides additional
information. For example, an informative reference might provide
background or historical information. Informative references are not
required to implement the technology in the RFC." 

I believe that we have just 2 Normative references for the Architecture
doc (surprisingly the first is currently not a reference!!):

RFC2474 Definition of the Differentiated Services Field (DS Field) in
the IPv4 and IPv6 Headers

RFC3246 An Expedited Forwarding PHB (Per-Hop Behavior)

All the others are Informative refs. I'm a bit worried about 2 I-Ds,
eardley-pcn-marking-behaviour & moncaster-pcn-baseline-encoding and am
thinking more about those.

Please shout if you disagree - Thanks,

phil

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn

---

From: "Jozef Babiarz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 23:12:55 -0400

RFC can not have reference to I-Ds. References to the two I-Ds will hold
publishing of this document as an RFC until the I-Ds are published as
RFCs.

I would suggest the way forward is to remove reference to I-Ds. I do not
believe that they are accentual to PCN Architecture doc. 

Regards, Joe 
email:[email-masked] 
Telephone:613-763-6098 

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: September 8, 2008 12:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [PCN] PCN References

phil

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:07:51 +0100

Joe

I got this guidance from scott

{ teh RFC Editor holds documents that have normative references to IDs

{ until the IDs are published but informative references to

{ IDs are ok and will not hold up publication if they are referred to

{ as "work in progress" rather than by teh ID name

-----Original Message-----
From: Jozef Babiarz [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 09 September 2008 04:13
To: Eardley,PL,Philip,CXR9 R; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [PCN] PCN References

Regards, Joe 
email:[email-masked] 
Telephone:613-763-6098 

phil