Subject: [PCN] inter-domain PCN: updated draft to confirm we're still OK

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:28:10 +0100

PCN folks,

Inter-domain isn't (yet) on the PCN charter, but I've updated this 
doc to check that that the way the w-g is going can still be made 
robust once 'the trust assumption' is removed.

Emulating Border Flow Policing using Re-PCN on Bulk Data
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-re-pcn-border-cheat-02>

Given recent PCN w-g developments, I've had to switch re-PCN 
codepoints round, so it's a bit less logical than before, but it 
still works. And I've confirmed that we can still incrementally 
deploy re-PCN from where we are (see the deployment section).

Altho this isn't formally w-g business, review comments would be much 
appreciated.

I've made a huge range of other updates too - summarised at the head 
of the draft (or full details via the diffs link in the above page). 
In particular I've made the problem statement in the Introduction a 
lot clearer.

Abstract

    Scaling per flow admission control to the Internet is a hard problem.
    The approach of combining Diffserv and pre-congestion notification
    (PCN) provides a service slightly better than Intserv controlled load
    that scales to networks of any size without needing Diffserv's usual
    overprovisioning, but only if domains trust each other to comply with
    admission control and rate policing.  This memo claims to solve this
    trust problem without losing scalability.  It provides a sufficient
    emulation of per-flow policing at borders but with only passive bulk
    metering rather than per-flow processing.  Measurements are
    sufficient to apply penalties against cheating neighbour networks.

Bob

____________________________________________________________________________
Notice: This contribution is the personal view of the author and does 
not necessarily reflect the technical nor commercial direction of BT plc.
____________________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,                           Networks Research Centre, BT Research
B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.    +44 1473 645196 

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn