Subject: [PCN] Paper on Measured Rate Termination

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:34:04 +0200

Dear colleagues,

we finally managed to revise our paper on "PCN-Based Measured Rate 
Termination (MRT)".
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~menth/Publications/papers/Menth08-Sub-9.pdf

It is important for the WG for several reasons:
1) It documents pitfalls with different MRT versions. We should take 
them into account in the edge behavior drafts. E.g., inter-measurment 
times (IMT) are required at the egress node also for MRT-ITR (MRT with 
indirectly calculated termination rates) to avoid overtermination in the 
presence of IEAs with significantly different RTTs. That's the issue 
Daisuke brought up on the list.
2) It shows how many termination steps are required with MRT-DTR (MRT 
with directly calculated termination rates) in case of packet loss.
3) It introduces proportional flow termination policies that allow CL to 
terminate flows without overtermination even if there are only a very 
few flows per ingress-egress-aggregate (IEA) and multiple IEAs on a 
bottleneck link.
4) It shows that SM poorly performs for small IEAs even if flow 
termination policies respect safety margins for termination. This is 
probably one of the most important reasons why SM is not good enough and 
CL is standardized as a second system, but the issue was nowhere 
documented so far.

These are the major issues. A summary of all findings is provided in 
Section 4.9.

Thanks a lot for all your comments so far, they greatly improved the 
contents and the readability of the paper. Further comments are welcome.

Kind regards,

    Michael

-- 
Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/31-86644 (new), fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn