Subject: [PCN] Protocol Action: 'Metering and marking behaviour of PCN-nodes' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 07:36:57 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Metering and marking behaviour of PCN-nodes '
   <draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-05.txt

Technical Summary 

   This document specifies two packet metering and marking
   behaviours of PCN nodes.  These metering and marking
   behaviours are implemented in PCN interior nodes to signal
   the onset of pre-congestion to PCN boundary nodes.
   Threshold-metering and -marking marks all PCN-packets if
   the PCN traffic rate is greater than a configured rate
   ("PCN-threshold-rate").  Excess-metering and -marking marks
   a proportion of PCN-packets, such that the amount marked
   equals the traffic rate in excess of a configured rate
   ("PCN-excess-rate").  The level of PCN marking allows PCN 
   boundary nodes to determine the extent of pre-congestion on
   ingress-egress paths, which is used to make PCN traffic
   admission or termination decisions.

Working Group Summary 

   The document was subject to thorough review by the PCN working
   group, and strong consensus for publication was reached.

Personnel

   The document shepherd was Steven Blake ([email-masked]).
   Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) reviewed the document for
   the IESG.