Subject: [pcp] base #35 (new): clients don't know address family of server

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:06:15 -0000

#35: clients don't know address family of server

 A host operating a pure client seldom knows or
 cares about the address family of the server; a host host
 operating a symmetric client/server sometimes also does
 not know or care.  Thus, the PCP client could mistakenly use
 the PIN44 OpCode when it should have used PIN46.  This is
 unfortunately not fully handled by REMOTE_PEER's inclusion of
 address family from the PCP client's perspective.

 Do we want to resolve this?

 If so, how -- perhaps adjust all of the PIN opcodes to effectively
 incorporate the REMOTE_PEER semantic?

-- 
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dwing@…          |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect           |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major            |   Milestone:     
Component:  base             |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                |    Keywords:     
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/35>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>

---

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:52:53 -0000

Changes (by dwing@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 resolved with new PEER4 and PEER6 OpCodes introduced in -03.

-- 
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dwing@…          |        Owner:        
     Type:  defect           |       Status:  closed
 Priority:  major            |    Milestone:        
Component:  base             |      Version:        
 Severity:  -                |   Resolution:  fixed 
 Keywords:                   |  
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/35#comment:1>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>

---

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:01:09 -0000

Changes (by dwing@…):

  * status:  closed => reopened
  * resolution:  fixed =>

Comment:

 Need to enhance section "Introduction to PIN and PEER OpCodes" to more
 fully discuss that for

   operating a server
   operating a symmetric client / server

 the PCP client needs to be smart:  it needs to know how to advertise an
 IPv6 address or IPv4 address to a rendezvous server.  Thus, it needs to
 know more about NAT64 or NAT46 and how to deal with it.

 That differs from doing the 'connect to server, then PCP' (item #2?),
 where it does not need to know how to do IPv6.

-- 
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  dwing@…          |        Owner:          
     Type:  defect           |       Status:  reopened
 Priority:  major            |    Milestone:          
Component:  base             |      Version:          
 Severity:  -                |   Resolution:          
 Keywords:                   |  
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/35#comment:2>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>