Subject: [pcp] base #34 (new): notify NAT WAN address changed

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:52:51 -0000

#34: notify NAT WAN address changed

 It may be useful to add a feature to PCP so that a PCP client can be
 immediately informed if the CPE WAN address changed, as that will require
 obtaining new PCP mappings.  This is discussed in
 [http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-pcp-failure-00#section-2.5
 Change of the CPE WAN IP Address].

-- 
--------------------------------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  mohamed.boucadair@…                   |       Owner:     
     Type:  enhancement                           |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                                 |   Milestone:     
Component:  base                                  |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                                     |    Keywords:     
--------------------------------------------------+-------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/34>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:55:51 -0500

On 2011-01-12 11:52, pcp issue tracker wrote:
>  obtaining new PCP mappings.

To use PCP terms, would it work if we say "external address" instead of
"CPE WAN address"? This way it would apply to any PCP server, whether it
is on a CPE or elsewhere.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:09:37 +0100

Dear Simon, 

The use of "external address" term is not appropriate in this case.

The issue described here is when there is a PCP Client behind a CPE; the PCP Server is located upstream (not located in the CPE): how the PCP Client is aware about the change of the assigned IP address on the WAN interface of the CPE so that to trigger the update of the pinholes it instructed on the PCP Server. 

Cheers,
Med 

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Simon Perreault
Envoyé : mercredi 12 janvier 2011 17:56
À : [email-masked]
Objet : Re: [pcp] base #34 (new): notify NAT WAN address changed

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
_______________________________________________
pcp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcp

*********************************
This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees. 
Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited.
Messages are susceptible to alteration. 
France Telecom Group shall not be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.
********************************

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:49:49 -0500

On 2011-01-12 12:09, [email-masked] wrote:
> The issue described here is when there is a PCP Client behind a CPE;
> the PCP Server is located upstream (not located in the CPE): how the
> PCP Client is aware about the change of the assigned IP address on
> the WAN interface of the CPE so that to trigger the update of the
> pinholes it instructed on the PCP Server.

I'm purposefully trying to avoid the term "CPE". PCP is applicable to
many scenarios, some of which don't involve a CPE at all.

This is how I understand it (please correct if wrong):

+----------+   +---------------+   +------------+
|PCP client|---|NAT without PCP|---|NAT with PCP|--- Internet
+----------+   +---------------+   +------------+
                                ^                ^
                            external 1       external 2

You would want the PCP client to be notified with PCP when the external
address labelled "external 1" changes. Is that right?

If so, two things:

- How would the PCP server itself be notified of the change?

- Where would the PCP server send the notification? It cannot reuse the
address+port of the last incoming PCP request since the UDP binding in
the NAT without PCP will very likely have expired.

Simon

---

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 17:54:35 -0000

Description changed by dwing@…:

> Change of the CPE WAN IP Address].

New description:

 immediately informed if:

   a. the CPE's WAN address changed (if the CPE is a NAT)
 or
   b. the PCP-controlled NAT's WAN address changed (if a LSN)

 As either will require obtaining new PCP mappings.  The CPE address change
 is discussed in [http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-pcp-
 failure-00#section-2.5 Change of the CPE WAN IP Address].

--

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/34#comment:1>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>

---

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 17:56:36 -0000

Old description:

> As either will require obtaining new PCP mappings.  The CPE address
> change is discussed in [http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-pcp-

New description:

 It may be useful to add a feature to PCP so that a PCP client can be
 immediately informed if either:

   a. the CPE's WAN address changed (if the CPE is a NAT), as discussed in
 [http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-pcp-failure-00#section-2.5
 Change of the CPE WAN IP Address], OR
   b. the PCP-controlled NAT's WAN address changed (if a LSN)

 As either will require obtaining new PCP mappings.

--

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/34#comment:2>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:57:07 -0800

To cover both cases, which I think are pretty closely related, I changed
the text to read:

"It may be useful to add a feature to PCP so that a PCP client can be
immediately informed if either:

As either will require obtaining new PCP mappings."

-d

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:10 AM
> To: Simon Perreault; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pcp] base #34 (new): notify NAT WAN address changed
> 
> Dear Simon,
> 
> PCP Client is aware about the change of the assigned IP address on the
> WAN interface of the CPE so that to trigger the update of the pinholes
> it instructed on the PCP Server.
> 
> Cheers,
> Med
>

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:24:26 -0800

> This is how I understand it (please correct if wrong):

The answers will be written by someone that writes up the I-D.  This
was added to the tracker as 'enhancement'.  I interpret 'enhancement'
to mean "not in the base protocol".

-d

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:40:50 -0500

> to mean "not in the base protocol".

Ah!

Fine by me!

(I still need to get used to the tracker...)

Simon