Subject: [pcp] When appending UNPROCESSED would make the packet too big

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 14:02:46 -0400

Section 5.3. Options:

   o  if the PCP server does not implement this Option, or cannot
      perform the function indicated by this Option (e.g., due to a
      parsing error with the option), it MUST generate a failure
      response with code UNSUPP_OPTION or MALFORMED_OPTION (as
      appropriate) and include the UNPROCESSED option in the response
      (Section 6.7.1).

What if appending the UNPROCESSED option would make the response packet
larger than 1024 bytes?

I see three alternatives:

a. "Make some space", e.g. by removing some options.
b. Send a response larger than 1024 bytes.
c. Drop the packet.

I'd prefer c.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 14:07:52 -0400

> b. Send a response larger than 1024 bytes.

Actually, there may be a better one:

d. Reply with MALFORMED_REQUEST.

Simon