Subject: [pcp] #68: Server selection feedback from Dave Thaler

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 22:19:51 -0000

#68: Server selection feedback from Dave Thaler

 My comments are in the marked up copy at
 http://research.microsoft.com/~dthaler/draft-ietf-pcp-server-
 selection-02.pdf
 Much of it is editorial-only.  A summary of the top technical feedback is
 below.

 1) Relationship to RFC 6724 is confusing.  For a given server should be
      I) Construct set of *Candidate* Source Addresses based on app input
 and constraints in the PCP base spec (e.g., for a PEER it should just
 contain the app session's source address).
      II) Sort list of destination addresses per RFC 6724 section 6

 2) Should provide more guidance about when to use one vs multiple servers.
      I believe the best answer is that by default, the client needs to use
 all PCP
      servers that configure firewalls (i.e. external IP == internal IP in
 mapping).
      When NATs are involved, then it is implementation specific... if the
 app can
      deal with multiple IPs then it can use multiple servers that return
 different
      external IPs.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-pcp-server-
  [email-masked]  |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  server-      |    Version:  1.0
  selection              |   Keywords:
 Severity:  In WG Last   |
  Call                   |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/68>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>