Subject: [pcp] Last Call: <draft-ietf-pcp-authentication-11.txt> (Port Control Protocol (PCP) Authentication Mechanism) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 13:59:08 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Port Control Protocol WG (pcp)
to consider the following document:
- 'Port Control Protocol (PCP) Authentication Mechanism'
  <draft-ietf-pcp-authentication-11.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-06-29. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   An IPv4 or IPv6 host can use the Port Control Protocol (PCP) to
   flexibly manage the IP address and port mapping information on
   Network Address Translators (NATs) or firewalls, to facilitate
   communication with remote hosts.  However, the un-controlled
   generation or deletion of IP address mappings on such network devices
   may cause security risks and should be avoided.  In some cases the
   client may need to prove that it is authorized to modify, create or
   delete PCP mappings.  This document describes an in-band
   authentication mechanism for PCP that can be used in those cases.
   The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) is used to perform
   authentication between PCP devices.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcp-authentication/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcp-authentication/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

This document contains a normative reference to an Informational RFC
(RFC 5281). This Last Call also requests the addition of RFC 5281 to the
Downref registry (https://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/DownrefRegistry).