Subject: [Pearg] Predictable numeric IDs (here we go again)

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 13:49:08 +0100

Folks,

The issue of predictable numeric IDs keeps popping up.

This time:

* In 6man, wrt embedding MAC addresses in Interface Identifiers:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ipv6/U3ZCkirsTIs6uvacyo4WsZPdPI0

and,

* In NTP, wrt to employing predictable port numbers unnecessarily. See:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/static/ntp/2019-05/

We authored an I-D
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-predictable-numeric-ids) to
proactively address these issues, and even provided a split version of it:

* https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-numeric-ids-history
* https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-numeric-ids-generation
* https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-numeric-ids-sec-considerations

We did presentations at the sec area (back in Buenos Aires, IIRC) and
secdispatch -- in different timeframes, but this still seems to be
stalled somewhere. We hope the IETF gets to work on this, instead of
having to re-hash the same discussions over and over again every time,
for different protocols, in different wgs, and then having to patch
specs where applicable.

Thanks,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492