Subject: [Pearg] Unfortunate History of Transient Numeric Identifiers (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gont-numeric-ids-history-05.txt)

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 19:22:31 +0100

Folks,

We have posted a rev of our I-D. which now incorporates the timeline of
yet more numeric IDs with a sad story of flawed generation.

The new revision is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-numeric-ids-history-05.txt

We have also revised a companion document, entitled " On the Generation
of Transient Numeric Identifiers", which analyzes numeric IDs and
proposes algorithms that generate numeric IDs while mitigating possible
security and privacy implications.
It is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-gont-numeric-ids-generation-04.txt

We would like to hear your comments, and also hope that PEARG is willing
to work on them.

P.S.: We are also pursuing (at the IETF) a third companion document
entitled "Security Considerations for Transient Numeric Identifiers
Employed in Network Protocols" that requires spec authors to do the
warranted interoperability, security, and privacy analysis of the
transient numeric IDs they employ. Such document is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-gont-numeric-ids-generation-04.txt

We hope this work helps to change the sad story we have had with numeric
identifiers in our protocols.

Thanks,
Ivan & Fernando

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-gont-numeric-ids-history-05.txt
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 11:10:21 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>, Ivan Arce <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-gont-numeric-ids-history-05.txt
has been successfully submitted by Fernando Gont and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gont-numeric-ids-history
Revision:	05
Title:		Unfortunate History of Transient Numeric Identifiers
Document date:	2019-07-08
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		25
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-numeric-ids-history-05.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-numeric-ids-history/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-numeric-ids-history-05
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-gont-numeric-ids-history
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gont-numeric-ids-history-05

Abstract:
   This document analyzes the timeline of the specification of different
   types of "numeric identifiers" used in IETF protocols, and how the
   security and privacy implications of such protocols has been affected
   as a result of it.  It provides concrete evidence that advice in this
   area is warranted.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat