Subject: [PEPPERMINT] new BoF proposal

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:36:29 -0500

All,

A tightened up version of the PEPPERMINT BoF proposal has been  
formulated.  The major changes since the last version are: 1) some  
language has been changed or eliminated that was construed to give  
PEPPERMINT a larger scope than intended, and 2) the input documents  
are listed.

The text is below.  Comments, questions, and suggestions welcomed.

-andy

Peppermint BOF

Provisioning Extensions in Peering Registries for Multimedia
INTerconnection.

Mailing Lists:

BOF chairs:

Andrew Newton [[email-masked]]

Richard Shockey [[email-masked]]

Temporary Area Directorate: Real Time Applications (RAI)

Ultimate Area Directorate: TBD

BOF Purpose.

The ENUM and SPEERMINT working groups are working on various aspects of
Multi Media Interconnection. ENUM is specifically chartered to develop
protocols that involve the translation of E.164 numbers to URI's.  
SPEERMINT
has been chartered to develop best current practices among real-time
application service providers and how such services interconnect across
domain boundaries.

It is clear from discussions in both working groups that Multi-Media
Interconnection will require address of record data to be provisioned  
among
administrative domains outside the normal scope of establishing a SIP
session.

The purpose of the BOF is to determine the need and scope for such data
exchanges, what existing protocols need to be adapted to meet those  
needs
and the appropriate schema and queries are needed to facilitate such
exchanges.

The IETF has in the past done significant work on data exchanges among
various administrative entities. In particular the PROVREG working group
developed various schema and query mechanisms to facilitate the  
exchange of
data among domain name registries and registrars.

The ENUM Working group has adapted PROVREG working group protocols to
develop RFC 4114, which facilitates the provisioning of ENUM data in  
the DNS
tree.  However, there has been little adoption of RFC 4114, and many  
in the
operator community require both data models and protocol features not  
found
in RFC 4114.

The proposed PEPPERMINT working group will build upon the knowledge  
gained
from those efforts, and the intent of this proposed working group is  
to find
a provisioning solution for peering as defined by SPEERMINT. The  
final work
product(s) from this working group will be based upon XML.   
Additionally,
bias will be given to re-using either EPP, HTTP/REST, HTTP/XML-RPC, or
HTTP/SOAP.

Proposed Deliverables:

1) Requirements for SPEERMINT data exchange.
2) Provisioning of SPEERMINT data registries.
3) Provisioning of SPEERMINT/ENUM data caches.

Input Documents:

1) PEPPERMINT Problem Statement
draft-newton-peppermint-problem-statement-00.txt

2) E.164 Number Provisioning Requirements - Data Set Requirements
draft-schwartz-peppermint-e164-provisioning-data-set-00.txt

3) ENUM Registry Interface Requirements
draft-lewis-peppermint-enum-reg-if-00.txt

_______________________________________________
PEPPERMINT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:19:54 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andrew Newton [mailto:[email-masked]] 

> The final work
> bias will be given to re-using either EPP, HTTP/REST, 
> HTTP/XML-RPC, or HTTP/SOAP.
> 

I would suggest that we add NETCONF to the list of possible technologies
to consider for re-use. 

Dan