Subject: [PEPPERMINT] FIRST cut at DRINKS agenda.

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:19:41 -0400

IETF 72 DRINKS Agenda

Data for Reachability of Inter/tra-NetworK SIP (drinks)

Chair(s):

Richard Shockey [email-masked]

Alexander Mayrhofer <[email-masked]> 

WG Secretary 

TBD ..

RAI Director(s):

Jon Peterson [email-masked]
Cullen Jennings [email-masked]

RAI Area Advisor:
Jon Peterson [email-masked]

Agenda Bashing. 

1.	Discussion of Consolidated Requirements Documents.
2.	Revised ESPP documents 
3.	Contribution from Debbie Guyton Telcordia ..

********************************************

Approved DRINKS WG Charter :

The IETF has been working on various aspects of SIP-enabled Multimedia
administrative domains among SIP Service Providers (SSP's). SSP's are
entities that provide session services utilizing SIP signaling to their
customers. In addition, the IETF has done significant work on data exchanges
among various network elements.

The ENUM and SPEERMINT working groups provide the underlying context for
much of the intended work that the DRINKS working group will undertake.

The ENUM working group is specifically chartered to develop protocols that
involve the translation of E.164 numbers to URIs. While the SPEERMINT
working group has been chartered to develop requirements and best current
practices among real-time application SSPs and to describe how such services
may best interconnect across administrative boundaries.

Specifically, DRINKS will provide details of how Session Establishment Data
(SED) is collected, what comprises SED, how SED should be used to properly
identify an optimal path to a destination SIP user agent (UA), either
internally or externally to the SSP. For the initial iteration of this
charter, the SED data is assumed to be fields that might be provisioned for
ENUM, with limited exceptions. If the working group would like to work on
data types unrelated to ENUM registries and databases, the WG will
recharter. In addition DRINKS will ensure that the SED and the SIP session
data securely exchanged between the peering functions.

Typical SED data might include:

+ Routes
- Destination SIP/SIPS/TEL URI Egress and Ingress Routes
- Relevant route names, identifiers, and services
- Attributes affecting route selection
- PSTN database information

+ Targets
- Individual, ranges, or groups of user-agent identifiers
- Target aggregation entities (e.g. service areas) and target-to-aggregate
associations

+ Treatment Profiles
- Priority
- Location

Potential SED Data types not in scope will be session rating or other
billing or pricing information between SSP's.

It is also recognized that peering relationships become more complex as
multiple peers are added to a common relationship; these complex aspects and
requirements are defined within the contexts of a peering Federation.

The DRINKS working group is chartered with a scope that is orthogonal to
SPEERMINT and ENUM. The protocol work of DRINKS will be designed to build
from the work of SPEERMINT and ENUM to identify and define the data
structures and data exchange protocol(s) among SIP based Multimedia
administrative domains.

These administrative domains may be of any practical size and could be any
type of SSP, such as recognized telephony carriers, enterprises, end-user
groups, or Federations. Data exchanges among these administrative domains
may be bi-lateral or multi-lateral in nature, and could include bulk updates
and/or more granular real-time updates.

Administrative domains may exchange data directly between each other or
might use an external registry to aggregate data from multiple
administrative domains or multiple data providers into a single view.

The working group will draw upon expert advice and on-going consultation
from the ENUM and SPEERMINT working groups, and also the XML Directorate.
The working group will consider the reuse of elements of RFC 4114.

The final work product(s) from this working group will utilize and be based
on XML documents and XML document exchanges.

GOALS AND MILESTONES

Nov 08 - WGLC for Requirements for Session Establishment Data (SED) data
exchanges (Proposed Standard).

Dec 08 - IESG Submission for Requirements for Session Establishment Data
(SED) data exchanges.

Jan 09 - WGLC for Exchanging of Session Establishment Data (SED) from data
providers to registries or between bi/multi-lateral partners (Proposed
standard).

Feb 09 IESG Submission for Exchanging of Session Establishment Data (SED)
from data providers to registries or between bi/multi-lateral partners.

Mar 09 - WGLC for Exchange of Session Establishment Data (SED) from
registries to Location Routing Function databases (Proposed Status).

Apr 09 - IESG Submission for Exchange of Session Establishment Data (SED)
from registries to Location Routing Function databases.

Richard Shockey
Director, Member of the Technical Staff
NeuStar
46000 Center Oak Plaza - Sterling, VA 20166
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 
PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> 
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>

_______________________________________________
PEPPERMINT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint