Subject: RE: IP checksum

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:59:05 -0700 (PDT)

> From [email-masked]  Wed Aug 18 12:50:23 1999
> Delivery-Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:50:23 -0700
> Return-Path: [email-masked]
> From: Emrich John G15538 <[email-masked]>
> To: PILC mailing list <[email-masked]>
> Subject: RE: IP checksum
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:43:29 -0500
> 
> Has anyone looked at doing something like TCP for transactions as in RFC
> 1379?

I've looked at applying RFC 2140-like TCB sharing principles
to UDP traffic as well. I.e., create a faux TCP-like TCB for
UDP associations (e.g., when you 'connect' to a UDP service in Unix,
to cache header info), and use it to govern packet flows.

However, it would require assumptions about the reverse flow
as an indication of ACKs, as in 'permission to send' (rather
than actually ACKing the sent UDP data). Different apps have
varying reverse flows; if this is configured out of band (user,
application, etc) it might work.

Joe