Subject: ID bounce message

From: Phil Karn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:32:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I got an automated bounce message from the Internet Drafts coordinator
saying that my submission of the PILC LINK draft came after the
deadline, even though I *know* I got it in before 5pm EST.

I sent two copies, one from home and one from work. I sent the copy
from work when I noticed a problem with the path through Time Warner
from home. The copy from work went right through and completed about
five minutes before the deadline. Hopefully the bounce came from the
earlier home copy that got stuck.

If not, this is just a bureaucratic annoyance, and we can continue to
work from the copy on my personal web page:

http://people.qualcomm.com/karn/pilc.txt

--Phil

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:23:33 -0800

The following may be of interest to PILC - to setup IP testbeds...

-- Joe
-----------

   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    
   x                                                          x    
   x           XX    XX      X-BONE Overlay System            x    
   x             X  X                                         x    
   x              XX                Software Release          x    
   x             X  X                                         x    
   x           XX    XX             March 2000                x    
   x                                                          x    
   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    

The X-Bone system for automated deployment of VPN / overlay networks
is now publicly available. This is the first major public release, v1.2.
                                                                   
X-Bone dynamically deploys and manages Internet overlays to reduce
configuration effort and increase network component sharing. X-Bone
discovers, configures, and monitors network resources to create
overlays over existing IP networks.
                                                                   
The X-Bone is implemented in Perl, and open source is provided.
                                                                   
The X-Bone can be used for:                                        
                                                                   
      - deploying VPNs                                             
                                                                   
      - sharing lab or wide-area networks                          
         for multiple, concurrent projects                         
         for testing protocols and apps on new topologies          
                                                                   
X-Bone uses two-layer IP in IP tunneled overlays and supports existing
applications and unmodified routing, multicast, and DNS services.
X-Bone also support IPSec within overlays. Applications can use the
X-Bone without modification or recompilation.
                                                                   
The X-Bone is available for the following operating systems:       
                                                                   
      - FreeBSD                                                    
              CAIRN 2.5, 3.*, 3.* + KAME IPsec patches             
                                                                   
      - Linux RedHat                                               
              6.0, 6.0 + NIST Cerberus IPsec patches, 6.1          
                                                                   
The FreeBSD port and Linux RPM have been submitted to the FreeBSD
ports and RedHat Linux RPMs sites; further information and details and
the port and RPM files are currently available at:
                                                                   
      http://www.isi.edu/xbone/                                    
                                                                   
- Joe Touch                                                        
  Project Leader, X-Bone group, USC/ISI                            
  [email-masked]                                                    
  http://www.isi.edu/touch                                         
  +1 (310) 448-9151                                                
                                                                   
-------------------------------------------------------------------
 Effort sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency 
 (DARPA)and Air Force Research Laboratory, Air Force Materiel      
 Command, USAF, under agreement number F30602-98-1-0200.           
                                                                   
 Copyright (c) 1998-2000 by the University of Southern California. 
 All rights reserved.                                              
-------------------------------------------------------------------