Subject: Re: Kicking TCP

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:28:41 -0800

Phil -

>>of my knowledge, there's nothing inherent in the RED scheme that
>>requires randomly choosing a packet currently *in* the queue for
>>dropping. (A minor optimization is to use the arrival of a new
>
>I thought it did, but it's been a while since I read up on it.

Nope.  The basic RED scheme randomly drops arriving packets.  You
could have variants, if you wanted, where you randomly made the
decision to drop a packet when a new packet arrived at the queue,
but where instead of dropping the arriving packet, you dropped some
other packet instead (the packet at the head of the queue, or some
random packet in the queue).  But I haven't really looked at any
of these options.  (I was also under the impression that dropping
a packet in the middle of the queue was likely to be more expensive
for the router than dropping the arriving packet...)

I have a brief note about "RED with Drop From Front" on the RED
web page at "http://www.aciri.org/floyd/red.html".

- Sally
--------------------------------
http://www.aciri.org/floyd/
--------------------------------