Subject: QofIS'2001 - Call for Papers

From: Fernando Boavida <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:37:04 +0000

We apologize if you receive multiple copies.

====================================================================

                          QofIS 2001
                 http://qofis2001.dei.uc.pt/

Second International Workshop on Quality of future Internet Services
  September 24-26, 2001, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal

                        CALL FOR PAPERS

====================================================================

Scope
-----

The design, implementation and provision of Quality of Service - from 
networks to applications - are key issues of current and emerging 
communication systems. QofIS'2001 workshop is the second international 
event organised by COST263 Action "Quality of future Internet Services". 
It will constitute a privileged forum for the presentation and discussion 
of new approaches to QoS, bringing together researchers, developers 
and practitioners from both industry and academia. 

The emphasis of the workshop is on horizontal (end-to-end) as well as 
vertical (top-down) provision of quality of services, spanning all 
components of end systems and networks, with the aim of identifying 
solutions enabling feasible and coherent QoS provision. 

Along with invited papers and panels, QofIS'2001 will offer keynote 
speeches and technical demonstrations.

Paper submission topics include, but are not restricted to

* Packet-level issues
    Per-hop behaviours (PHBs) 
    Traffic policing and scheduling
* Flow-level issues
    QoS mapping, negotiation and adaptation
    Challenges of QoS routing: intra-domain, inter-domain and multicast
    User and network signalling for QoS
* Network-level issues
    Traffic engineering
    Wireless access and mobile communications issues
    Policy-based QoS control for the Internet
    Monitoring, measurement and management of quality of service
* Applications
    QoS in middleware platforms
    Quality of service for distributed applications
    Active services for Internet QoS
* Architectural issues
    End-to-end QoS support and services
    Cost assessment and pricing schemes for Internet QoS

Papers addressing new areas of research and novel ideas/proposals/techniques 
still to be widely accepted by the community are welcome, especially if they 
are supported by experimentation and prototyping. A session on 
"Outrageous/innovative opinions" is envisaged.

Information for authors
-----------------------

Submissions, in the form of full papers, should describe original work 
(not submitted or published elsewhere) and be 12 single-spaced pages or 
less in length. Submissions should include: title, authors, affiliations, 
100-word abstract and list of keywords. The author responsible for 
correspondence should be identified, including the author's name, position, 
mailing address, telephone and fax numbers, and e-mail address. The title 
page should also indicate if the paper is to be considered for the best 
PhD student paper award (see below). One of the authors of each accepted 
paper must present the paper at QofIS'2001.

The conference proceedings will be published by Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 
in the Lecture Notes in Computer Science Series and distributed at the event. 
Authors are requested to follow the LNCS's guidelines in preparing their 
manuscript.

Best PhD student paper award
----------------------------

PhD student papers will be reviewed like all other papers and will be 
presented in regular sessions. Papers that are candidate for the best PhD 
student paper award should be clearly identified as such in a cover letter. 
The PhD student should be the principal author and presenter of the 
submitted paper. This is to be indicated in a cover letter, which should 
be signed by the student's supervisor. A jury will select the best paper 
based both on the quality of the written paper and its presentation. The 
winner will be awarded a prize donated by one of the workshop sponsors.

Address for submissions
-----------------------

Authors are requested to submit their manuscripts electronically in PDF 
or in Postscript formats to the following address: [email-masked] . 

General information 
-------------------

For more information visit http://qofis2001.dei.uc.pt/ or mail to 
[email-masked] 
(Fax.: +351 239 701266).

See also QofIS'2000 web pages at http://www.fokus.gmd.de/events/qofis2000/

Author guidelines: www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html 

-------------------
Important deadlines
-------------------

April 16th, 2001	Papers, demonstrations and panel proposals
June 8th, 2001		Author notification
July 9th, 2001		Camera-ready copies of papers and panelists' position 
                        papers due

Steering Committee
------------------

Michael Smirnov, GMD FOKUS, Germany ( SC Chair)
Jon Crowcroft, UCL, UK
James Roberts, CNET, France
Fernando Boavida, University of Coimbra, Portugal

Program Committee
-----------------

Azcorra, Arturo - UC3M, Spain
Baker, Fred - Cisco Systems, USA
Berg, J. L. van den - KPN Research, The Netherlands
Blondia, Chris - UIA, Belgium
Boavida, Fernando - University of Coimbra, Portugal, (PC Chair)
Bonaventure, Olivier - FUNDP, Belgium
Carle, Georg  - GMD FOKUS, Germany
Casals, Olga - UPC, Spain
Crowcroft, Jon - UCL, UK
de Meer, Hermann - UCL, UK
de Sousa, Paulo - IST, EU
Domingo-Pascual, Jordi - UPC, Spain
Esaki, Hiroshi - Tokyo University, Japan
Hutchison, David - Lancaster University, UK
Jormakka, Jorma - HUT, Finland
Karlsson, Gunnar - KTH, Sweden
Kilkki, Kalevi - Nokia, USA
Kuehn, Paul J. - IND, Germany
Luoma, Marko - HUT, Finland
Madeira, Edmundo - UNICAMP, Brazil
Mei, R. D. van der - KPN Research, The Netherlands
Monteiro, Edmundo - University of Coimbra, Portugal
Pavlou, George - Uni Surrey, UK
Popa, Mihai - Procetel, Romania
Roberts, James - CNET, France
Scoglio, Caterina - FUB, Italy
Serpanos, Dimitrios N. - University of Patras, Greece
Smirnov, Michael - GMD FOKUS, Germany
Solé-Pareta, Josep - UPC, Spain
Stavrakakis, Ioannis - UOA, Greece
Stuettgen, Heinrich - NEC, Germany
Ventre, Giorgio - UNINA, Italy
Virtamo, Jorma - HUT, Finland
Wolf, Lars - University of Karlsruhe, Germany
Wolisz, Adam - TU-Berlin, Germany
Wroclawski, John - MIT, USA
Zehl, André - T-Nova, Germany

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fernando Boavida (Associate Professor)                       
Dept. Engenharia Informatica                    Tel.: + 351 239 790000
Universidade de Coimbra                         Fax.: + 351 239 701266
POLO II . Pinhal de Marrocos                    e-mail: [email-masked]
P-3030 COIMBRA					http://www.dei.uc.pt/~boavida
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                 QofIS'2001 
    Second International Workshop on Quality of future Internet Services
                        http://qofis2001.dei.uc.pt
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------