Subject: LINK draft on my web page

From: Phil Karn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:14:00 -0800

Okay gang, I've placed my latest draft of the LINK document on my web page.
The URL is

http://people.qualcomm.com/karn/pilc.txt

Major additions since the last version (prior to the San Diego
meeting) include Reiner's text on ARQ persistency and Dan's text on
QoS. I've edited both submissions to tighten wording, but hopefully I
haven't changed their semantics too much in the process.

Please look it over and comment. We're getting close, so now's the
time to point out misspellings, grammatical errors, formatting errors
and missing or incorrect references as well as objections to the
semantic content.

The submission deadline is 2pm pacific time tomorrow, so make your
thoughts known in enough time to give me a chance to incorporate them.

Thanks!

Phil

---

From: Reiner Ludwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 15:47:38 +0100

>haven't changed their semantics too much in the process.

Well done. The only thing I'm not happy with is:
"Some buggy TCPs may even fall into a go-back-N retransmission mode where 
the TCP sender unnecessarily retransmits all outstanding data."

It has nothing to do with "buggy". Every TCP will inevitably go into 
go-back-N after a spurious timeout because of TCP's retransmission 
ambiguity problem. For more details, please, check out the [LK00] reference.

///Reiner

---

From: Phil Karn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 12:38:40 -0800

>the TCP sender unnecessarily retransmits all outstanding data."

I still don't understand why this necessarily happens in every
compliant TCP, as I designed my clamped-backoff algorithm to avoid
this sort of thing. I've skimmed the paper you cited, but it will take
more time to digest than I have before the deadline this afternoon.

So in the meantime, I'll delete the word "buggy" but keep the word
"some", i.e.,

Some TCPs may even fall into a go-back-N retransmission mode where 
the TCP sender unnecessarily retransmits all outstanding data....

--Phil