Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bahk-pilc-tcp-wireless-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:04:21 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Spurring TCP retransmission upon wireless uplink 
                          losses
	Author(s)	: S. Bahk, J. Kim, H. Kim
	Filename	: draft-bahk-pilc-tcp-wireless-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 09-Apr-01
	
In this informational draft, a simple TCP-level method to tackle
unnecessarily inflated TCP retransmission timeout (RTO) value due to
non-congestion losses over wireless uplink is evaluated.  This method
works between the handset and the intermediate node, and does not
require the changes on legacy TCP implementations on wireline side.
It uses one bit, named Kick (K) bit, from the TCP header to signal
the handset or IN to override RTO. Also, this method does not
undermine the congestion-control aspect of RTO exponential backoff.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bahk-pilc-tcp-wireless-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-bahk-pilc-tcp-wireless-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bahk-pilc-tcp-wireless-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.