Subject: RE: LINK update

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:29:47 -0400

>    1. End users may simply be unaware of the risks;
>                ^
>                and content providers

I think end users in the context of the rest of the document refers to
Internet end users, i.e.,  to people operating hosts, as opposed to network
operators. In other words, Internet != WWW. End to end security applies to
non-web applications like email as well telephony and the point above should
not be narrowed to just web apps.

---

From: Dan Grossman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:03:02 -0400

> not be narrowed to just web apps.
You're reading something different than I'd intended.  The idea is that there 
are a bunch of people who use the Internet passively (don't write anything 
that looks like software) and there are other people who use it actively 
(write software of one sort or another).  I was also making a mental 
distinction between folks who use high level tools and platforms (like web 
site developers, postmasters and call center admins) and folks who develop 
high level tools and platforms.  The latter typically have end-to-end security 
capabilities, but the former often don't use those things.  But maybe the 
distinction is too subtle.

Suppose we say "application developers" instead?