Subject: QofIS 2001 Call for Participation

From: Fernando Boavida <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:33:14 +0100

We apologize if you receive multiple copies.

====================================================================

                          QofIS 2001
                 http://qofis2001.dei.uc.pt/

Second International Workshop on Quality of future Internet Services
  September 24-26, 2001, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal

                    CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

====================================================================

Dear colleague,

Enclosed you will find the advance program and the Call for Participation 
for the 2nd International Workshop on Quality of future Internet Services 
(QofIS 2001), Coimbra, Portugal, Sep. 24-26, 2001.

Advance registration deadline is September 03 and hotel reservation deadline 
is August 31, 2001. You can find more information on how to register at our 
web site http://qofis2001.dei.uc.pt/

QofIS 2001 features:

* 1st and 2nd days - 22 regular papers, covering aspects such as QoS for
Multimedia 
Communications, Admission Control, QoS routing, Differentiated Services
Networks, 
QoS Monitoring and Mapping, and Traffic Engineering.

* 3rd day - "IST day" with mini workshops (e.g. QoS charging organised
by M3I project), invited talks and a panel.

* 3 keynote talks, one in each day of the workshop.

---------------
Advance Program
---------------

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24th, 2001

8.30 Registration

9.30 Opening session

9.45 Keynote Talk 1

Experience with an IP QoS Physical Testbed: Problems and Research Issues
Ian F. Akyildiz - Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA

10.30 Coffee break

10.50 Session 1 - QoS for Multimedia Communications

Design of Optimal Playout Schedulers for Packet Video Receivers
N. Laoutaris, G. Boukeas, I. Stavrakakis - Univ. Athens, Greece

Constrained TCP-Friendly Congestion Control for Multimedia Communication
D. Sisalem - GMD FOKUS, Germany
A. Wolisz - TU Berlin, GMD FOKUS, Germany

Adaptive Wavelet Video Filtering
A. Kassler - University of Ulm, Germany
C. Kucherer, A. Schrader - NEC Europe Ltd., Germany

On the utility of FEC mechanisms for audio applications
E. Altman, C. Barakat - INRIA, France
V. Ramos - Institut Eurecom, France

12.30 Lunch

14.00 Session 2 - Admission Control

A Call Admission Control Method for Supporting Telephony Sessions in a Best
Effort IP Network
I. Szabo - Ericsson Research, Hungary

Integrated Admission Control for Streaming and Elastic Traffic
N. Benameur, S. Oueslati-Boulahia - France Telecom R&D, France

Novel Enhancements to Load Control - a Soft-state, Lightweight Admission
Control Protocol
A. Marquetant - Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Hungary

PBAC: Probe-Based Admission Control
I. Ivars, G. Karlsson - IMIT/KTH, Sweden

15.40 Coffee break

16.10 Session 3 - QoS Routing

QoS routing: Average Complexity and Hopcount in m dimensions
F. Kuipers, P. Van Mieghem - TU Delft, The Netherlands

QoS Routing with Incomplete Information by Analogic Computing Algorithms
G. Retvari - Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Hungary

Profile-Based Routing: A New Framework for MPLS Traffic Engineering
S. Subhash - Univ. California, Santa Barbara, USA
M. Waldvogel - Washington University in St. Louis, USA
P. Warkhede - Cisco Systems, USA

17.45 Guided tour to the old University buildings

19.00 Welcome reception

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25th, 2001

9.30 Keynote Talk 2

Affordable QoS in Future Wireless Networks - Myth or Reality?
Jens Zander - Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden

10.30 Coffee break

10.50 Session 4 - Differentiated Services Networks

Towards better Support of Transaction Oriented Communication in
Differentiated Services Networks
R. Bless, D. Holzhausen, K. Wehrle - Institute of Telematics, University of
Karlsruhe, Germany

The Olympic Service Model: Issues and Architecture
A. Banchs, O. Leon - NEC Europe Ltd, Germany
S. Sallent - Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Spain

Service differentiation in ECN networks using weighted window-based
congestion control
V. Siris, C. Courcoubetis, G. Margetis - ICS-FORTH, Greece

Two-differentiated Marking Strategy for TCP flows in a Differentiated
Services Network
Sung-Hyuck Lee, Seung-Jun Seok, Seung-Jin Lee, Chul-Hee Kang - Korea
University, South Korea

12.30 Lunch

14.00 Session 5 - QoS Monitoring and Mapping

Aguri: An Aggregation-based Traffic Profiler
Kenjiro Cho - Sony Computer Science Labs, Inc., Japan

Traffic Handling in AQUILA QoS IP Network
B. Wojciech - Warsaw University of Technology, Poland
S. Stefano - CoRiTel, Italy

The TCP Control Block Interdependence in Fixed Networks --- Some
Performance Results
Michael Savoric - TU Berlin, Germany

Approaches to Support Differentiated Quality of Web Service
Sook-Hyun Ryu - Pohang University of Science and Technology, Korea

15.40 Coffee break

16.10 Session 6 - Traffic Engineering

Understanding the Long-Term Self-Similarity of Internet Traffic
U. Steve, O. Bonaventure - Univ. Namur, Belgium

Network Dimensioning with MPLS
Luis Cardoso - Portugal Telecom Inovacao, Portugal

DSS: A Deterministic and Scalable QoS Provisioning Scheme
G. Urvoy-Keller, E. Biersack - Institut Eurecom, France

17.45 Coimbra sightseeing tour

19.00 Workshop dinner

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26th, 2001

9.00 Keynote Talk 3

10.00 Coffee break

10.20 Session 7 - QoS charging

Organised by M3I - Market Managed Multiservice Internet project
(http://www.m3i.org/)

12.30 Lunch

14.00 Session 8 - Invited talks

Not All Bits have Equal Value
Angela Sasse, Anna Bouch - University College London

Cadenus project 
Giorgio Ventre - Unina, Italy

A service-centric IP QoS architecture for Next Generation Networks - The
IST TEQUILA project
Danny Goderis - Alcatel Network Strategy Group, TEQUILA project manager

QoS Architecture with Adaptive Resource Control - the Aquila approach
Berthold Koch - Siemens

COST Action 264
Serge Fdida

SEQUIN: QoS for GEANT and the National Research and Education Networks
Roberto Sabatino - DANTE

16.30 Coffee break

16.50 Closing session - Panel

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fernando Boavida (Associate Professor)                       
Dept. Engenharia Informatica                 Tel.: + 351 239 790012
Universidade de Coimbra                      Fax.: + 351 239 701266
POLO II . Pinhal de Marrocos                 e-mail: [email-masked]
P-3030 COIMBRA				     http://www.dei.uc.pt/~boavida
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                QofIS'2001 
   Second International Workshop on Quality of future Internet Services
                        http://qofis2001.dei.uc.pt
---------------------------------------------------------------------------