Subject: TIA/EIA - noted in passing

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:14:04 +0100 (BST)

I came across some interesting wireless claims. Related to:

(TIA/EIA/IS-99 or -95 "Data Services Option Standard for Wideband
Spread Spectrum Digital Cellular System".)
http://www.tiaonline.org/pubs/press_releases/1998/98-46.cfm

I haven't read these documents, which are not freely available
(US$420); I'm taking this description on trust.

I'm told IS-95A recommends a TCP receiver buffer size of 2xMSS. So
much for any SACK use, although SACK wasn't standards-track in '95.
That more or less corresponds with the old 4K reference implementation
for TCP, I suppose.
 
IS99 increases that to 4xMSS. Which again isn't much use for SACK or
SACK blocks, and might look a bit silly these days. 4 = 1+3; I wonder
if there's a misunderstanding of how SACK works... MSS size will be
limited by the immediately adjacent wireless hop.

TIA/EIA/IS-707 revision A is, I gather, the current revision; can
anyone who has read it comment on what it says?

curious,

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Kamesh Medepalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:56:17 -0400

> (US$420); I'm taking this description on trust.

You should be glad you have that disclaimer! Addressing TCP receiver buffer 
size is outside the scope of these documents (including IS-707).

..K