Subject: ASYM: Cable Networks

From: "Mandin, Jeff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:30:42 +0300

Gorry,

I have been intending to submit some text on asymmetric behaviour
in Docsis/HFC networks. Hope I can send it out by next Monday(9/3).

Best Regards,

Jeff Mandin
Software System Architect
Texas Instruments - Cable Broadband Communications
email: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Gorry Fairhurst [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tue, August 28, 2001 5:11 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PILC ASYM: Wording of PEP comparison.

I am editing what we hope to be the last rev of

draft-ietf-pilc-asym-05.txt

prior to a PILC working group last call. The new text of one
section attempts to clarify the realtionship of the ASYM
draft to the PEP RFC previosuly issued.  Although there is
broad consensus on the roles of these two documents, the
previous wording in the asym draft received some criticsm.

Gorry Fairhurst

The replacement text below is offered for comment:

------

[RFC3135] describes a class of network device that provides more than
forwarding of packets, and which is known as a Protocol Enhancing Proxy
(PEP). A large spectrum of PEP devices exist, ranging from simple devices
(e.g. ACK filtering) to more sophisticated devices (e.g. that split a TCP
connection into two separate parts). The techniques described in section 6
of this document belong to the simpler type, and do not inspect/modify any
TCP or UDP payload data. They also do not modify port numbers or link
addresses.  Many of the risks associated with more complex PEPs do not
exist for these schemes. Further information about the operation and the
risks associated with using PEPs are described in [RFC3135].

-----

please tsend comments to:

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Dan Grossman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:49:04 -0400

> in Docsis/HFC networks. Hope I can send it out by next Monday(9/3).
Jeff, I'm glad you're going to do it, because I'd been intending to do the same.  Also for ADSL.  Be sure to mention that if there's uptake of (symmetric) telephony, the asymetry between upstream and downstream for best effort traffic (DOCSIS 1.1 best effort, ATM UBR over ADSL) becomes more pronounced.

Dan