Subject: L2 views on IP's Hidden Underbelly Draft Kickoff Party- was Link API (fwd)

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:31:46 -0700

Folks-

Phil Nuemiller is working on advancing the L2 Triggers topic for a 
potential BoF in Yokahama.  There is a problem statement below.  Folks 
interested in collaborating should contact Phil soon.

--aaron

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 08:29:27 AM -0400
From:
To: [email-masked], Scott Corson <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked], [email-masked], Rex Buddenberg 
<[email-masked]>, [email-masked], "Dr. Chane L. Fullmer" 
<[email-masked]>
Subject: L2 views on IP's Hidden Underbelly Draft Kickoff Party- was Link 
API

OK, seems like there is some interest.  Here is the list of interested
folks I have so far.   Have I missed anybody?

[email-masked] - Scott Corson
[email-masked] - Einar Vollset
[email-masked] - Michael Gerharz
[email-masked] - Rex Buddenberg
[email-masked] - Mike Sasuta
[email-masked] - Dr. Chane Fullmer

If anybody else is interested in working on the draft please let me know.
If we come up with a draft fairly quickly it may be submitted into the L2
tiggers BOF I suppose depending on how/when that happens.  Either way we
can see what the IESG says when we submit it.

I plan to send my first version of the drafty draft to the above folks in
plain vanilla ASCII, i.e. no IETF formatting at first.  Everybody can take
a swipe at it and  mail it back to me.

Meanwhile...  Here is a draft problem statement....  Please pile on.

Problem Statement
=============
Many years of development have gone into the TCP/IP protocol suite,
primarily from a "top down" design perspective where layer upon layer have
been built upon each other.  Each layer functions as a client accessing the
server layer below it.  This model has served the global Internet extremely
well for many hears.  However, as software design methodologies have
progressed so have software design patterns.  The IP stack is highly
standardized on its "top" side, but it is proprietary/hidden and somewhat
of a black art on its bottom side.

With the advent of ubiquitous wireless devices, it is extremely important
to allow L2 devices to form a tight coupling with the IP (L3) layer.
Wireless devices have links that can change state on the order of
milliseconds and routing, QoS, and security decisions, if they are to be
implemented at the IP layer, must interact quickly.  Currently, there are
no standard event  notification methods or triggering mechanisms into the
under-specified under-belly of the IP stack.

Proposed Title:  Steps Toward Standardizing IP's Underspecified Underbelly
(I hate this title, but it gets the point across)

Thanks,

Phil

---------- End Forwarded Message ----------