Subject: [pilc] Link-layer Triggers Protocol draft

From: Ali Mohammed-MALI1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 20:50:13 -0500

Hi Alper,

Just got on to the mailing list. There is interesting discussion on the Link-layer triggers draft. I had a few comments.

1. I am a little confused on location of the server. I dont understand where exactly this would reside in the infrastructure. For eg, in the RANwould this be on the RNC( radio network controller) but are we interested in all trigger notifications?. For eg, the mobile could change its association with a different Base station and have maintain same IP link. From an IP mobility perspective i would only be interested in triggers when the mobile is changing its IP attachment point.

2. On page 9 you have a section that says the following

	"When a host receives a Link Up trigger, L2 address specified in the Event Data field indicates the link-layer address of the newly associated access point. Similarly, when an access router receives a Link Up trigger, L2 this address indicates the link-layer address of the newly associated access device."

How does the server distinguish  an access router client from a host client and send different information in the trigger data?.

3. Can the host be registered to more than one server and receive more than one trigger notification at any time?. I believe it needs to maintain a unique registration at all times and send a deregistration to the old server everytime you move either as soon as you receive link-down on the old link or via new the new link.

I have some more concerns/questions will share them after you reply.

Thanks,
Mohammed 

Mohammed D. Ali
Senior  Engineer
NAT, Advanced Technology Group.
Motorola Inc.

_______________________________________________
pilc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pilc
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/pilc-charter.html
http://pilc.grc.nasa.gov/

---

From: "Alper E. YEGIN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:31:44 -0700

Hello Mohammed,

> 1. I am a little confused on location of the server. I dont understand
where exactly this would reside in the infrastructure. For eg, in the
RANwould this be on the RNC( radio network controller) but are we interested
in all trigger notifications?. For eg, the mobile could change its
association with a different Base station and have maintain same IP link.
>From an IP mobility perspective i would only be interested in triggers when
the mobile is changing its IP attachment point.

The generator of the L2 trigger cannot assess whether this is interesting
or not. It's up-to the consumer of the trigger to assess this. You are
right,
not all L2 events result in a L3 event. But this is not up-to the servers
to decide...

> "When a host receives a Link Up trigger, L2 address specified in the Event
Data field indicates the link-layer address of the newly associated access
point. Similarly, when an access router receives a Link Up trigger, L2 this
address indicates the link-layer address of the newly associated access
device."
>
> How does the server distinguish  an access router client from a host
client and send different information in the trigger data?.

In either case, L2 address is the address of the "other end" of the link.
For example, if trigger is received by the access router, the "other end"
of the link is "access device" of the wireless client.

> 3. Can the host be registered to more than one server and receive more
than one trigger notification at any time?. I believe it needs to maintain a
unique registration at all times and send a deregistration to the old server
everytime you move either as soon as you receive link-down on the old link
or via new the new link.

Hmmm. There may be a confusion here... Clients of this protocol
don't register with the servers of this protocol each time a link
goes down.

This registration is pretty static. For example an access router registers
with the access points... And a mobile host registers with its access
device. Neither registrations have to change when mobile host moves around.

> I have some more concerns/questions will share them after you reply.

Sure... I hope I answered your questions.

alper

> NAT, Advanced Technology Group.

**********************Confidentiality Note**********************
Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this e-mail and any
attachment to it and may be covered by existing non-disclosure or
confidentiality agreements.
If you are not the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee),
you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone any information contained in
this e-mail.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete it from your system.
Thank you very much.
*************************************************************