Subject: RE : Inquiry

From: "Ricky Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:28:56 +0800

Dear Sir,

I am a research student of HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY. I am
evaluating the reliable communication in PIM-SM mode. I had already gone
through the PIM-SM Protocol Specification
(draft-ietf-idmr-PIM-SM-spec-10.ps) but I haven't found information about
how to select the PIM-router as RP (rendezvous point). There are no any
information talking about the RP selection mechanism.

Could you give me some indications how to get those information related to
the RP selection mechanism ?

Thank you very much!

BR,
Ricky Chan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1989 13:30:10 -0700 (PDT)

Ricky Chan states:
> how to select the PIM-router as RP (rendezvous point). 

> the RP selection mechanism ?

Hello,

the above draft is out-dated, see:

	http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2362.txt

refer to seection 3.6 and the hash function in 3.7.

- rusty

---

From: Alejandro Avella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:28:53 -0700

Ricky;

>         http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2362.txt

I believe this is the latest version with figures available. It
is dated September 9, 1997 and it is available at:

  http://catarina.usc.edu/pim/pimsm/PIM-SMv2.ps

By the way,

Editors:  Figure 1 in section 2, has a little typo.
The interface 1 of router A should be in the left of the
router, not in the top of the router.

-Alejandro