Subject: FW: Prune AssertWinner

From: vishwas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 98 16:56:00 PST

Oh..!!! Thanks and Apologies..

[vishwas]
But one dought still persists. As per the draft the upstream used to send   
another prune just incase prune-override join message were to be lost,   
the routers will get another chance. I WOULD SAY THE SAME WILL APPLY HERE   
TOO.
 Just a hunch, not a necessaty though, Any way Ahmed do reply back. and   
thanks once again for ur previous reply..

Regards
Vishwanath S. Edavayyanamath
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------  
 ------------------------
Software Engineer, Future Software Pvt. Ltd, Chennai, India
Ph : +91-44-4330550 (335)
Private e-mail : [email-masked]
> [vishwas]
>  ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> It is not mentioned in the draft that assert Winner will schedule a
> prune. Thats where the problem comes from. It is only mentioned that
> assert Looser has to "prune the interface",
> which wont serve the purpose. So assert Looser has to send prune for   
the
> assert Winner for that (S,G).
> Pl. Go through the section "Asserts received on outgoing interface:"   
and
> confirm with me.

Hi Vishwas,

 here is the excerpt from the latest spec I have [dated May 97] in
 section 5.5 [parallel paths to the source]:

        "3 If you have won the election but there are no directly
             connected members on the LAN, schedule to prune the
             interface. The LAN might be a stub LAN with no members (and
             no downstream routers).  If no subsequent Joins are
             received, delete the interface from the outgoing interface
 ..."

 I know it is there cuz I have run into this bug earlier (I have
 used a method I am working on for authomatic test generation,
 and published the results in a paper, and this bug was one of
 the results discovered, it is on my web page)

Regards,
 -Ahmed

>
> Hay Bill Did U check this out..?

---

From: Ahmed A-G Helmy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:08:01 -0800 (PST)

> the routers will get another chance. I WOULD SAY THE SAME WILL APPLY HERE   

Yes,... to increase robustness, the forwarder for a lan/link would send a 
prune onto the lan/link shortly before the interface-prune/erase timer 
goes off,... as you pointed out correctly, to give a 2nd chance to 
downstream routers with downstream members if any exists.
[not sure if this rule is a *must* or a *should* in the currect spec]!

Regs,
-A