Subject: Q on joins

From: vishwas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 98 12:39:00 PST

In PIM dense mode, the only purpose of Joins is to override the prunes   
sent
by a peer router to an upstream router. If so, the joins are to be   
processed
only in the interval during which the upstream router waits for the   
joins.

If joins are received at some time after this interval, can they be
processed
to cancel the prune earlier received for that (S,G)?
i.e.. Shud the joins be treated as grafts at other times?

I guess not!
Am I right?

[vishwas]

I feel again the protocol has one case where this case will arise. It is   
said that prune override (join delay)  should be equal to or smaller than   
the prune delay timer value, which has a default value 3.

When U choose to have a default value for prune delay timer and also join   
delay timer as 3 secs, then due to propagation delay, the case U said may   
occur And they cat be treated as grafts as U said. There is a seperate   
section 5.3 for this.

Its Up to implementers though, AUTHORS CAN CLARIFY..

Hay Bill, Comments Please.

 -vishu