Subject: RE: Why send Prunes on Multicast addr

From: Desikan Saravanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:19:54 -0800

Well. I guess U have not understood the concept clearly.
Multicasting is to reduce the redundant packets in the networks.
We dont want to see prunes from each and every downstream rtr in the network
and process them!

DS

-----Original Message-----
From: vishwas [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 1998 2:05 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Why send Prunes on Multicast addr

Hi All,
 What if we unicast the prune to the upstream rather than Multicasting it   
and facing all those overheads on timers and increase in control trafic   
by prune overrides.

It seems prunig with unicast address seem to work fine. Upstream can have   
a well defined datastructure containing a linked list of neighbors per   
outgoing interface. And when all the neighbors get pruned he can then   
prune the interface itself. And if all the outgoing interfaces get   
pruned, prune the upstream, again UNICAST.

Comments PLEASE...!!!!

Regards
S. Vishwanath
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------

 ------------------------
Software Engineer, Future Software Pvt. Ltd, Chennai, India
Ph : +91-44-4330550 (335)
Private e-mail : [email-masked]