Subject: PIM draft minutes from Oslo

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:05:26 -0400

Here are draft minutes from the working group meeting in Oslo.
Please send me any corrections or additions.

Thanks,
Tom

Internet Engineering Task Force
PIM Working Group

Draft Minutes from July 13, 1999, Oslo, Norway

Spec status
-----------

Liming Wei said that a new version of the sparse mode spec will be
submitted soon. This version will include the Hello priority option
and will also include the new Generation ID option.

[Liming, if you have a date when this would be available,
 I'll include it here.]

The PIM authentication draft has not changed and has been through
working group last call. It is ready to be submitted to the IESG
as soon as the sparse mode spec is ready.

The dense mode draft was also updated recently based on comments
from Bill Fenner.

[Were any other changes required before doing a working group last
 call on the dense mode document? If so, please send concerns to
 the list as soon as possible.]

The PIM MIB work was originally being done in the IDMR working
group.  Dave Thaler is making some minor modifications based on
feedback from the IESG. This is supposed to be completed by August
31st.

Bidirectional Tree PIM
----------------------

Deborah Estrin gave the working group an update on Bidirectional
Tree PIM. The draft is available from
ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/dino/draft-farinacci-bidir-pim-01.txt.
There was some concern over the use of an IP option in the forwarding
path. A proposal to allow an alternative mechanism to the IP option
at the expense of (S,G) state between the source and the RP will
be written up and reviewed.

Deborah also presented an approach to using extended addresses with
bidirectional PIM. A concern over the requirement of an IP option
to carry the extended address was raised.

[Note: This work is not in the charter. I think it is a valuable
 addition to the Protocol and support updating the charter to
 include it.  Please send feedback to the mailing list if you have
 objections to the charter being updated to include this.]

Other Extensions
----------------

State refresh for PIM dense mode was presented by Isidor Kouvelas.
This attempts to reduce the periodic flooding and re-pruning of
data in a dense mode domain. This draft introduces a trade-off of
increasing the complexity of the protocol in exchange for reducing
the unnecessary flooding of data.

[Note: This work is not in the charter. A discussion on whether or
 not this item should be included in the charter should be carried
 out on the mailing list.]

Simple Key Management for PIM was discussed by Thomas Hardjono.
This was presented as a way to do automatic key distribution for
PIM authentication as posed in the PIM authentication draft by
Liming Wei. There were some concern raised over the fact that the
existing key was used to distribute the new key since the existing
key may be compromised.

[Note: This work is not in the charter. A discussion on whether or
 not this item should be included in the charter should be carried
 out on the mailing list.]

---

From: Liming Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:56:04 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:43:04 -0700
> From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
> 
> Can the new version address the ambiguity (?) of the definition of
> the checksum of the PIM Registers. My interpretation was/is that the
> checksum does NOT include the encapsulated multicast packet, but
> there are (were?) interpretations (implementations?) that the
> checksum includes the encapsulated data.

Two issues:

 1) The spec has made clarification that it is done for the PIM header
    plus the 4 bytes following it (or the complete PIMv2 register
    header);
 2) Some implemetations done prior to the freezing of the spec did it
    over the entire inner packet.

Issue #1 is already resolved in the current spec.

Issue #2 can be resolved by having the implementors agreeing to accept
registers with checksum over the entire inner packet while generating
registers over the header only. As a way for all to migrate into a
single algorithm. This was also resolved a long time ago outside
the spec.

-Liming

---

From: Liming Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:33:24 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:05:26 -0400
> From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
> 

Tom,

As soon as I get the BSR state machine's picture re-done in ASCII
(or figure out a way to remove it), I'll submit the PIM-SM draft.

About the few proposals outside of the original charter, I think
we don't have to worry about it with respect to the movement of
the "frozen" specs on the standard track. We can figure out what
to do (or not to do) with them when things become more solidified.
It will only become an issue if we finish the chartered items too
soon :-).

Thanks for the minutes Tom.

-Liming

---

From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:43:04 -0700

Thanks,
Pavlin