Subject: fragmented PIM-SM Join/Prune

From: [email-masked] (Billy Ng)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:07:32 -0400

Hi,

I have not heard any response to this one possible problem of handling
multiple Join/Prune packets pertaining to the same group.  I think the
spec needs to spell out what to do in this case.

Would appreciate any comments.

--Billy

----- Begin Included Message -----

---

From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:43:28 -0700

> I see one possible problem with big PIM join/prune packets across a single
> group.
> 
> Basically the problem is that if there is a large number of sources
> for one group and the join/prune message cannot fit in one packet,
> the packet needs to be splitted.  The problem came with the second
> refresh of these fragmented packets because the first packet will
> graft any (s,g)s that are not yet received with this first fragment
> having a (*,g) entry.  The spec should spell out the steps to avoid
> this problem.

Can you describe in more details the problem, and give an example,
because the above scenario is a little bit unclear to me.

Pavlin