Subject: pim implementation

From: manim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 99 10:16:00 PDT

Hi friends

i have the following doubts

(i) can two or more mulicast protocols run on a same physical interface   
at the same time. More specifically can pim -dm ,pim-sm and dvmrp run on   
a same interface at the same time ?

(ii) There are two rfcs for pim sm . i.e V1 and V2 . Is switching between   
these two versions is possible on a same interface ?

(iii) Atpresent there are two drafts for implementing snmp in pim
one specifically for pim <draft-ietf-idmr-pim-07.txt>

and the other which is independent od the multicast routing protocol in   
use
<draft-ietf-idmr-multicast-routmib-10.txt>
is it neccesary that both should be implemented ?

Anybody please help me in getting the answers for the above

Thanks in advance

Mani

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 22:55:39 -0700

>a same interface at the same time ?

PIM DM and SM can run on the same interface using "sparse-dense" mode,
but that mode isn't defined in the RFC.  If you really wanted to, you
could probably manage to designate group ranges as using DVMRP, but I
don't know of any way in which that would be useful.   

>these two versions is possible on a same interface ?

There is no RFC for PIMv1.  I'm not sure exactly what you mean by
switching between the versions, but all of the PIM routers on a
link must use the same version of PIM on that link.

>(iii) Atpresent there are two drafts for implementing snmp in pim

Well, as you say, one is for PIM and one is for multicast routers.
If your PIM implementation is part of a multicast router, then you need
to implement the multicast route MIB.

  Bill