Subject: Re: Bidir PIM

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:19:40 -0800

From:  James Huang@MITEL on 03/16/2001 11:19 AM PST

>>      To solve the problem, it does require sensing traffic from the source.
>>But "traffic sensing" will only apply to group's that have been pruned from
>>the RP.

>to prune them (in the direction of the source) you first have to
>sense the traffic.

Pruning is initiated from the RP.  When RP receives (*,G) traffic and drop the
packet (olist - iif == NULL), it will send a RP-prune downstram from the
receivng interface iif.

-- James Huang

Lorenzo Vicisano <[email-masked]> on 03/16/2001 11:01:03 AM

To:   James Huang/USA/Mitel@Mitel
cc:   [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
      [email-masked], [email-masked]

Subject:  Re: Bidir PIM

>      "No data-drivern events" is a nice feature to have, but it is achieved a
>t
> the price of :
>      (1) wasted bandwidth along the path from the sources to the RP, and
>      (2) wasted packet processing power at the RP
>
>      To solve the problem, it does require sensing traffic from the source.
>But
> "traffic sensing" will only apply to group's that have been pruned from the R
>P.

to prune them (in the direction of the source) you first have to
sense the traffic.

> And it  will only happen at those lowest level DF routers which have receiver
>s
> for the group downstream and have received RP-prune from upstream.     This k
>ind
> of traffic sensing only requires us to maintain a keepalive timer in the (*,G
>)
> state at the interface toward the traffic source.   It does not seem to be a
> difficult thing to do either in software or in hardware!

everything is feasible.. at a price.

     Lorenzo