Subject: some assorted questions on BSR

From: "K.P.Ramamurthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:58:17 +0530

Hi,
   I have some assorted questions with some suggestions as well. your
opinions / views / corrections will be much appreciated.

Q1 > every bootstrap message (BSM) contains RP-SET. My question is related
to the inclusion of RP HOLDTIME in the RP-SET. What is the purpose of
including the RP HOLDTIME in the BSM?
>is it that when a candidate BSR in the domain wins the BSR election and
becomes the E-BSR of the domain it could use the RP information present in
the RP-SET and go ahead and start the C-RP timers for each RP with the
HOLDTIME as indicated in the RP-SET.
               >If that is the intention of including the HOLDTIME ,then my
subsequent question is that:
               > All PIM routers receive and store the RP-SET, while only
the candidate BSRs (which I guess will be few ) will be actually using the
HOLDTIME to timeout the C-RPs. In any case the C-RPs would unicast their
candidacy to the new BSR once they discover that the BSR has changed so why
have the HOLDTIME advertised to all routers ?? I would like to have views of
usage / presence of RP HOLDTIME in BSM (RP-SET)

Q2 > in page 70 ( section 4.7.4 ) draft 01 version
     “ When the C-RP expiry timer expires, the C-RP is removed from the
       pool of available C-RPs. The BSR uses the local pool of C-RPs to
       construct the RP-SET which is included in the BSM and sent to
       all the routers in the PIM domain. The BSR may apply a local
       policy to limit the number of candidate RPs included in the
       bootstrap message. The BSR MAY OVERRIDE THE PREFIX indicated in
       a C-RP-ADV unless the “priority” filed from the C-RP-ADV is not
       zero.”

 My questions are :

Q 2.1 > If a BSR gets elected newly ( does not have the RP-SET )is it
        Ok to send a BSR message with no RP-SET, i.e. NULL RP-SET.

Q 2.2 > what is meant by the BSR may override the prefix indicated in
        a C-RP-ADV when priority is ZERO.

                Regards and thanks
          Ramamurthy.K.P