Subject: Register stop .

From: "Jyotheeswara Rao Kurma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 08:56:26 +0500

Hi All:
  
    Why cann't the DR at the sender, can stop register encapsulation,
 once it receives a (S,G) Join from RP ? To the best of my knowledge,
As per the current draft, there is no way for DR to recognize that this 
(S,G) came from RP or not ? Because, other PIM routers also can send 
(S,G) joins if they have have some receivers, which issued a IGMP v3
request in the down stream.

if this is the only issue, that stops DR , to wait till RP explicitly
send a register stop, I have a small suggestion . Have a flag in the 
(S,G) join message, that indicates that this Join is originated from RP.

I am not very sure whether this really makes sense, or improves 
performance, or not ? But I can say that there some chances, if no other
complications come with this. 

I know that (S,G) join message travels  hop by hop, but having a flag 
in it, carries a message to the end PIM router (DR). Intermediate PIM 
routers should carry it as it is. 

Please let me know if I am misunderstanding anything ? 

Thanks,
Jyotheesh

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it 
as such. 
-- Henry Miller

---

From: "K.P.Ramamurthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:48:47 +0530

Hi,
   As per the draft when the DR receives a REGISTER STOP MESSAGE from
the RP, it is only * SUPPRESSING * register encapsulation to the RP for that
(S,G)
for a certain time period as indicated by REGISTER_SUPPRESSION_TIME, after
which
the DR would probe the RP by sending a REGISTER NULL MESSAGE. In response to
the
REGISTER NULL MESSAGE probe the RP can decide weather or not it wants the DR
to
resume register encapsulation for (S,G). If no REGISTER_STOP_MESSAGE is
received
within REGISTER_PROBE_TIME, the DR will * RESUME * register encapsulation to
RP
and would continue to suppress the (S,G) encapsulation if a
REGISTER_STOP_MESSAGE
is received in the probe interval.
               How would the RP indicate to the DR that its wants register
encapsulation
* RESTARTED *for (S,G) in view of having a flag in (S,G) join, which
indicates that the
join originates from RP.
          best regards and thanks
                  Ramamurthy

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Jyotheeswara Rao Kurma
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 9:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Register stop .

Hi All:

Thanks,
Jyotheesh