Subject: RP / BSR router shutdown

From: "K.P.Ramamurthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 09:33:30 +0530

Hi,
  I have a question concerning PIM router's being shutdown.

A > If the PIM router is an C-RP, and is being shutdown, can the router
    indicate the same to the elected BSR (E-BSR) of the domain by sending
    a C-RP-ADV message with a HOLD TIME set to *ZERO*, thereby allowing
    the elected BSR to remove the groups advertised by this C-RP router
    from the RP-SET used to form the BSMs, just as the neighbor routers
    indicate that they are going down by sending a hello packet with
    holdtime set to ZERO.

B > If the PIM router is an Elected BSR (E-BSR) and is being shutdown, is
there
    any mechanism by which it can indicate and initiate an election earlier
than
    BS-PERIOD (60 sec). since the C-BSR state machine does not handle
receiving a
    "LESS PREFERRED BSM" per-se, but will allow the BS-TIMER to expire and
then will
    do the needful, so sending a *very low priority BSM* will not result in
a
    re-election before BS-PERIOD. Can this router( E-BSR) initiate a
re-election
    before BS-PERIOD ??

        regards and thanks
          Ramamurthy.K.P