Subject: assert cancel messages

From: "Jyotheeswara Rao Kurma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 08:59:13 +0500

Why Rp bit in assert cancel messages is 1 ( set ) even for (S,G) assert 
messages ?  Can a (*,G) assert can trigger (s,G) assert state machine?
It seems that event "receive assert with RPT bit set and couldAssert
(S,G,I)== true", in (s,g) assert state machine, is nothing but receipt 
of a (*,G) assert ?

actually (s,g) asserts should have rpt bit cleared and (*,g) asserts
should have this bit set.

what are the source fields in assert cancel messages ? In  (*,G)assert 
cancel message why is the source address be RP(G) ? Do i need to 
differentiate between assert cancel and assert message . i.e any 
specail processing is needed ? 

Thanks for any info,
Jyotheesh

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it 
as such. 
-- Henry Miller

---

From: David Barnett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:47:08 -0400

> should have this bit set.

No, the purpose of an assert cancel message is for a PIM speaker to make its
assert value as low as possible. Since (S,G) assert messages always are 
considered of a higher priority than (*,G) assert messages the cancel message 
must have the RPT bit set otherwise the cancel message would still be prefered
over (*,G) assert messages.

-Dave