From: "Subrata Sa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 06:49:35 -0800

------------------------------------------------
Internet Draft: draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-02.txt
Section: 4.6.1
Page: 85
------------------------------------------------

This is regarding "default priority" of DR. Section 4.6.1 says
that the DR Election Priority Option SHOULD be included in every Hello
message, even if no DR election priority is explicitly configured on
that interface.  This is necessary because priority-based DR election
is only enabled when all neighbors on an interface advertise that they
are capable of using the DR Election Priority Option. Again it says
that the default priority is 1. 

I understood that if there is no DR Priority Option in the incoming
Hello message, router will assign default priority of 1 to the sender
of the Hello message. But the spec says if atleast one neighbor does
not include DR Priority Option in its Hello message, priority based
election is disabled. Why is there a provision of "default priority" 
then ? 

Let me know if that priority is meant for something else.

Regards

Subrata
_____________________________________________________________
Tired of limited space on Yahoo and Hotmail?
Free 100 Meg email account available at http://www.dacafe.com