Subject: (s,g) assert info in (*,g) state

From: "Jyotheeswara Rao Kurma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 16:54:53 +0500

Doe's this i.e storing (s,g) assert info in (*,g) state or vice versa
makes sense ? I guess, we shouldn't .

Why am I interested ? I got (s,g) assert for which I don't have (s,g) 
state created by that time (meaning NoInfo ? ) ? But I need to store 
the info contained in that (s,g) message (to record that ). 

I should create (s,g) or can store somewhere esle ? If creation is 
allowed, then this router may also try to form SPT ?

Thanks for any info,
Jyotheesh

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it 
as such. 
-- Henry Miller

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:34:04 -0700

(S,G) Assert state has no relationship with (S,G) forwarding state.
Your Local Memberhsip (S,G) state should still be NoInfo, the
PIM (S,G) Join/Prune State should still be NoInfo, the upstream
(S,G) Join/Prune Timer should still not be running, etc.

Participating in an (S,G) Assert and recording the winner should
not cause you to join the SPT.

  Bill

---

From: "Jyotheeswara Rao Kurma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:26:19 +0500

> not cause you to join the SPT.

  Theoritically this is true. But to my understanding JoinDesired(S,G) 
macro is becoming TRUE, once I create the (S,G) state ? as 
inherited_olist(s,g) is NON-NULL . Is KeepAliveTimer is coming in to 
picture to make it FALSE ?

Thanks,
Jyotheesh

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 23:07:50 -0700

>macro is becoming TRUE, once I create the (S,G) state ?

No.

>as inherited_olist(s,g) is NON-NULL . Is KeepAliveTimer is coming in to 

The KeepAlive Timer is only set when you use (S,G) state to forward
traffic.  You haven't used (S,G) state to forward any traffic, since
you don't have any (S,G) forwarding state, so the KeepAlive Timer
will not be running.

  Bill