Subject: (s,G) assert beating (*,g) assert

From: "Jyotheeswara Rao Kurma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 14:32:18 +0500

Hi :
  
 Suppose say there are three pim routers attached to a shared media,(on 
the down stream) and assume till, this point of time, only (*,G) 
asserts happened and one of them will eventually be (*,g) assertwinner 
and rest are loosers. Now assumes router-3 ( which is a looser) got 
(S1,G) request and formed spt with source S1. Now how is the router-3 
will become assert winner for this (S1,G), and remaining two won't do 
any forwarding of S1 packets any more. After observing a packet on an 
interface which is in oif-list router-3 will send (S,G) assert. How do 
the other routers process, these assert ? I couldn't find any event in 
(*,G) assert state machine, which accepts (S,G) asserts ???

Any help greatly appreciated,
Jyotheesh

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it 
as such. 
-- Henry Miller

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:31:33 -0700

Since AssertTrackingDesired(S,G,I) is true on the router that's forwarding
(*,G), it will track the (S,G) Assert.  It will track it in the (S,G)
Assert state machine even though it only has (*,G) state.

The router that lost the (*,G) Assert will not track the (S,G) assert.
If it ever becomes the winner, it will start forwarding and a new Assert
will happen and at that point it will track the (S,G) assert.

  Bill