Subject: usage of the Preference Metric and Metric fields in Assert messag es

From: JACQUENET Christian FTRD/DMI/CAE <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:46:14 +0200

Hi,

I'm curious to know if anyone has already developed a PIM implementation
that would take care of the above-mentioned fields, especially the
Preference Metric field, which looks like some kind of "administrative
distance" promoted by some well-knnwn equipement vendor.

Besides, I was wondering how these fields could be valued (in v03 of the
spec. I can't see any mention of a default value, BTW).

Comments warmly welcome.

Christian.

---

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:18:11 -0700

These are the defualt values Juniper uses for metric preference.
These can be adjusted through configuration to match other vendors
if necessary.

#define RTPREF_DIRECT           0       /* Routes to interfaces */
#define RTPREF_STATIC           5       /* Static routes */
#define RTPREF_OSPF             10      /* OSPF Internal route */
#define RTPREF_ISIS_L1          15      /* IS-IS level 1 route */
#define RTPREF_ISIS_L2          18      /* IS-IS level 2 route */
#define RTPREF_REDIRECT         30      /* redirects */
#define RTPREF_KERNEL           40      /* learned via route socket */  
#define RTPREF_SNMP             50      /* route installed by network management
 */
#define RTPREF_RDISC            55      /* Router Discovery */
#define RTPREF_RIP              100     /* Berkeley RIP */
#define RTPREF_DVMRP            110     /* Distance Vector Multicast */ 
#define RTPREF_DIRECT_DOWN      120     /* Routes to interfaces that are down */
#define RTPREF_AGGREGATE        130     /* Aggregate default preference */
#define RTPREF_OSPF_ASE         150     /* OSPF External route */       
#define RTPREF_ISIS_L1_EXT      160     /* IS-IS L1 external */
#define RTPREF_ISIS_L2_EXT      165     /* IS-IS L2 external */
#define RTPREF_BGP_EXT          170     /* Border Gateway Protocol - external pe

Thanks,
Tom