Subject: [pim] Forwarding BSM

From: "pnh" <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Feb 2002 21:31:01 -0000

Hello,
    If a router configured as candidate BSR, receives an BSM from elected BSR with lower priority than its own priority, it will transition to Pending BSR state ("Receive Non-preferred BSM from Elected BSR" event in Candidate BSR state machine). Shouldn't it be fowarding this received BSM to all other routers so that even they update their view of elected BSR? Otherwise others will accept BSM from this router only when old one times out!

Thanks

PNH

---

From: "Prashant Jhingran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:05:55 +0530

hi,
     I feel it should definitely forward the received BSR message regardless
of the fact "Receive Non-preferred BSM from Elected BSR"....more over it
shall also store the RP set. In case if the above is not done, a black hole
might be created in the domain, with some routers having no clue about the
RP set thus making communication/multicasting vulnerable.
regards,
Prashant

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of pnh
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 3:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [pim] Forwarding BSM

Hello,
    If a router configured as candidate BSR, receives an BSM from elected
BSR with lower priority than its own priority, it will transition to Pending
BSR state ("Receive Non-preferred BSM from Elected BSR" event in Candidate
BSR state machine). Shouldn't it be fowarding this received BSM to all other
routers so that even they update their view of elected BSR? Otherwise others
will accept BSM from this router only when old one times out!

Thanks

PNH