Subject: [Pim] Re: [eagle 00635] Fw: [Rmt] pim-sm and layered multicast

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:35:38 +0000

In message <[email-masked]>, "T.H.Nguyen" typed:

 >>These problems were described in the following paper:
 >>"Rendezvous Points based Layered Multicast", IEICE Trans.
 >>Commun., Vol. E84-B, No. 12, Dec. 2001.
 
 >>Abstract and PDF file are available at this URL:
 >>http://search.ieice.org/2001/files/e000b12.htm#e84-b,12,3133

cool - neat paper

note that one reason for  hashing to different RPs is to load balance

so there are two problems with layered coded schemes and this
1/ if yo uhave 2 flowss with potentuialyl 2 layers, and 2 RPs, then instead of getting
1 layer for each flow on each RP, you could end up with the each layer of 1 flow on each
RP, and none of the second flow - this is clearly unfair, 

2/is loss at an RP really correlated with bottlenecks ? in the UK national and MAN nets,
RPs are in overprovisoned palces, and loss is typically in the leaf/site networks (we
think, and others seem to agree)...if we could say use ECN, then the RP could monitor
ECN rate per group...which might then be a really cute way of extendign your idea

cheers
jon
_______________________________________________
Pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim