Subject: [pim] PIM and IPv6

From: Jérôme Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:04:51 +0200

Hi

I am Jerome Durand and I am working for Renater. We deployed an IPv6
multicast network called M6bone with peerings in Europe, Asia, and Africa
(soon America). Information is available at http://sem2.renater.fr/xcast
We are using pim6sd daemon provided by Kame. Today, we would like to manage
scope of multicasting. The drafts and standards today don't give information
at this purpose and we would like to contribute for this part of the job.
Could you please tell me if there are alreay papers dealing with this
specific subject or what is foreseen at that time ?

Thanks a lot
Regards

Jérôme Durand
IPv6 - GIP Renater

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 18:04:58 -0400

Jerome,
     I suggest you look at the IPv6 scoped addressing architecture
and the latest PIM spec.  The scoped addressing architecture discusses
the issues surrounding the forwarding and route advertisement of
scoped addresses.  The PIM spec discusses the issues with protocol
behavior with respect to C-RP and BSR messages containing scoped
addresses.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Jérôme Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:20:26 +0200

Hi

We are updating our web pages of the m6bone web site.
http://sem2.renater.fr/xcast

We have an overlay network IPv6 multicast over IPv6 or over IPv4. It's a
single pim domain as we don't have MSDP or BGMP. What we would like to have
is the management of the scope. I mean, if we have the following topolgy:

clients--SiteA ---------- Backbone ---------- SiteB--clients

It should be possible with the scope in the IPv6 multicast address to be
able to controle the multicasting.
If  a client in site A transmit with address ff05::xxxx, there should be an
RP in site A and the multicasting should stay in siteA. (ff05::/16 = site)
The same for siteB...
There should be an RP in the siteA for ff05::/16 and one in siteB for
ff05::/16 and routers in site A should not know that siteB has a RP for
ff05::/16 and vice-versa. (we could have a kind of option scope_limit on a
router interface for example)

If we want to transmit in the global internet (ff0e::/16) or in the global
organisation (ff08::/16), a RP could be elected in the backbone and all the
routers in the site should know and use this RP.

Today, what happens is that we can have different RP for different groups
but if the RP is elected in siteA for groups ff05::/16, people in site B
will use that RP. There is one RP for each scope. There is no privacy and
controle of the scope. (and we have a bad topology if this happens)

I hope you understand better what I would like to have in m6bone (waiting
for interdomain protocols...)
Please, tell me if you need more information.

Jérôme Durand
IPv6 - GIP renater

----- Original Message -----
From: "Apoorva Karan" <[email-masked]>
To: "Jérôme Durand" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: [pim] PIM and IPv6

> Hi Jerome,
>
> I would like to know what your topology is like and also what you do to
> support multicast scopes. At this point, its not clear to me what the
> requirements for multicast scopes are.
>
> Thanks,
> Apoorva
>
> Jérôme Durand wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >