Subject: [pim] Help Required in PIM Entry & Oif Timer Expiry Handling

From: "Vanitha Ramaswami" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:02:41 +0530

Hi All,

We have an RFC 2362 version of PIM-SM. A condition, where in both the Oif
Timer and the Entry Timer expires at the same time is happening.  When an
Oif Timer expires for a (*,G) entry, a (*,G) prune is sent upstream. Some
times it so happens that the Entry Timer expires before the Oif Timer. To
handle this case a (*,G) prune is sent upstream on entry timer expiry if
that Oif is in the forwarding state.

My doubt is do we need to do the same for (S,G)RPT entry also. i.e send
(S,G)RPT prune upstream for (S,G) RPT entry as well when the entry timer
expires.?. How is it normally done.?.

Thanks,
Vanitha

***************************************************************************
This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL) 
and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information 
and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for 
what it is intended. 

If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. 
FSL accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from 
the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus.
***************************************************************************
_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Rahul Bahadur <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Apr 2003 10:33:30 -0700

Instead of sending a prune it might be easier to silently delete (*,G)
and/or (S,G) entries that have expired due to inactivity. If source(s)
start sending data before the holdtime of the corresponding prune(s)
have expired in upstream routers, it will result in temporary
suppression of desired traffic.

Rahul