Subject: [pim] PIM hello option numbers

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:33:29 -0700

While looking into getting a new option number assigned for the
neighbor address list hello option, I looked at the current PIM sparse
mode draft regarding option number assignments.

It defines the following:

1 - Holdtime
2 - LAN Prune delay
3 - 16 reserved for future versions of this document

18 - deprecated
19 - DR priority
20 - generation ID

17 - 65000 assigned by IANA
65001 - 65535 reserved for private use

The bi-dir spec defines

22 - bi-dir capable

So this means that 17 and 21 are un-accounted for. If anyone has any
knowledge of their whereabouts, please let us know.

Also, I think the spec should be changed to say that 23-65000 should be
assigned by IANA instead of 17-65000. Dave Meyer and I are pursuing 
getting IANA set up to assign 23 - 65000 and we'll use the neighbor list
option as a test of the process.

Thanks,
Tom

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Yiqun Cai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:55:27 -0700 (PDT)

Tom,

Dave gave me this URL shortly after the IETF that we resolved
the conflicts between option 18 and 19.  

  http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/pim-hello-options

Here are the numbers assigned from the URL:

Value   Length  Name                                       References
-----   ------  ----                                       ----------
  1         2   Hold Time                                   [RFC2362] 
  2-16      -   Reserved                                    [RFC2362]
 17        16   Label Parameters (renew 8/01)             [Farinacci]
 18         -   Deprecated
 19         4   DR Priority (renew 8/01)                     [Fenner]
 20         4   Generation ID (renew 8/01)                   [Fenner]
 21         4   State-Refresh (renew 8/01)                 [Kouvelas]
 22         0   Bidirectional Capable (renew 8/01)         [Kouvelas]
 23         1   VCI Capability (renew 8/01)               [Farinacci]

Combining with the list you mentioned,  how about letting IANA assign
24-65000, instead of 23-65000?

Thanks.

-- 
Yiqun

---

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:24:44 -0700

Excellent.

We'll have IANA start at 24 then.

Thanks,
Tom

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 12:21:12 -0700

>> the conflicts between option 18 and 19.  

Ack, I forgot I already did some of this. Thanks Yiqun.

Dave