Subject: [pim] Questions

From: "Suresh Boddapati" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 14:53:52 -0700

Hi,

1) In section 4.10.5.1 (Group Set Source List Rules). In the subsection for
Wildcard Group Set, the definition states:

"The wildcard group set is represented by the entire multicast range - the
beginning of the multicast address range in the group address field and the
prefix length of the multicast address range in the mask length field of the
Multicast Group Address, e.g. 224.0.0.0/4 for IPV4......"

Is this always 224.0.0.0/4 and no other value? If so, should it not say
"i.e. 224.0.0.0/4" and not "e.g. 224.0.0.0/4"? The latter suggests other
possible values for the same family.

2) In the same section, the table that specifies the rules for valid
combinations of Joins and Prunes says that when the combination is invalid,
the combination MUST not be generated by the router. It does not say
anything about what a receiver should do upon receiving such a combination.
Are we to assume that this should follow the "be liberal in what you accept"
behavior i.e. if you receive a (*,G) Join and a (*, G) prune in the same
message, you just go about processing them as usual (obviously, it would not
cause any harm to do so).

3) Also, the draft says that "in a Join/Prune message, all the Multicast
Group Addresses, Joined Source Addresses and Pruned Source addresses MUST be
of the same address family. It is NOT PERMITTED to mix IPV4 and IPV6
addresses within the same message."

If a router receives such a message, should the whole message be discarded?
It is probably good to specify this behavior to ensure consistent operation.

Thanks.

Suresh

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim