Subject: [pim] about the (*,G),(S,G) entry creation and deletion

From: "Zhang Yanxing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 10:36:25 +0800

I think it maybe one implementation problem, I want to speak out my thought to see if it is correct.
Multicast Route entry is created when some interfaces receive the (*,G) or (S,G)  join message. 
When all the joined before interfaces recieve prune message(after the prune override interval) or
the join timer expires, the entry will be deleted. This mechanism shows the difference between the DM and 
SM.
     But at the DR with the directly connected senders and the RP, I think the (S,G) entry creation is something 
like the DM, it is built by the traffic driven.
     Another point is that does the specification imply that if (S,G) exist, the (*,G) should exist too?
     Welcome comments, Thanks.
_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: "Prashant Jhingran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:35:54 +0530

Hi,
--*,G is definitely not a must for SG entry. 
If a DDR receives a Source specific IGMP (v3) report then it forms a SG tree
and this may happen for both SSM and non-SSM group range.

--At RP the creation of SG entry is influenced by presence of  Receivers for
the group. If no receivers then RP is supposed to send a Register stop and
no need for SG state creation.

--At SDR however it is data driven unless a source specific SG tree is
formed by a DDR before source starts pumping data packets.

would like to have some comments on this.

regards,
Prashant

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Zhang Yanxing
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 8:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [pim] about the (*,G),(S,G) entry creation and deletion

      I think it maybe one implementation problem, I want to speak out my
thought to see if it is correct.
Multicast Route entry is created when some interfaces receive the (*,G) or
(S,G)  join message. 
When all the joined before interfaces recieve prune message(after the prune
override interval) or
the join timer expires, the entry will be deleted. This mechanism shows the
difference between the DM and 
SM.
     But at the DR with the directly connected senders and the RP, I think
the (S,G) entry creation is something 
like the DM, it is built by the traffic driven.
     Another point is that does the specification imply that if (S,G) exist,
the (*,G) should exist too?
     Welcome comments, Thanks.
_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

***************************************************************************
This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL) 
and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information 
and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for 
what it is intended. 

If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. 
FSL accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from 
the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus.
***************************************************************************