Subject: [pim] reaction to pim-sm register messages ?

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 09:37:48 -0700

How should a system receiving a (maybe whole bunch of) pim-sm register
messages react ? Conditions may include that the system does not
run PIM at all, or that the group is in a different mode (PIM-DM, Bidir).
Would this behavior have to change depending on wether the system
supports PIM-SM at all ? Eg: If the system does NOT supports PIM-SM
at all (but maybe PIM-DM or Bidir-PIM), would an ICMP protocol unreachable
be appropriate ? Would an IGMP port unreachable ever be appropriate (eg:
if we do support PIM-SM, but the group is not PIM-SM nor SSM ?).

To me there's a definition gap between the case of a router who doesn't
know what PIM is (sends protocol unreachable) and the case of the 
group being PIM-SM/SSM on the router and the router not being the RP
(sends register stop). 

Are different modes of PIM actually different protocols (at least not
as far as IP is concerned, right ?) ? Shouldn't there be at least some
common definition of PIM behavior applicable to whoever wants to add
modes or whatever it's called ? The particular case about receiving
unicast PIM messages you can't handle looks like such a case.

rfc2563: "A destination node SHOULD send a Destination Unreachable
message with Code 4 in response to a packet for which the transport protocol
(e.g., UDP) has no listener, if that transport protocol has no alternative
means to inform the sender." - So, what's the transport protocol here ?
PIM ? PIM-DM ? Bidir-PIM ? Do they have an alternative ? Is it register
stop ?

Cheers
	Toerless
_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: "Hongfei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 10:16:40 +0800

pim-request,hello！
    To your question, I think the router processing the pim-sm register message must be a pim-sm RP router. So  the register message can only be processed at the RP router, there is no confiction with other protocol.
　　

======= 2003-05-03 you have written：=======

>Today's Topics:
>
>   1. reaction to pim-sm register messages ? (Toerless Eckert)
>
>--__--__--
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 09:37:48 -0700
>From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [pim] reaction to pim-sm register messages ?
>
>--__--__--
>End of pim Digest

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

                   yours
				 
               Hongfei
               [email-masked]
					2003-05-04