Subject: RE: [pim] Slight contradiction about forwarding BSM in the BSR dr aft

From: Cormier Chris-ACC125 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:18:33 -0500

I believe that the consensus in San Francisco was that it would be optional
to forward the message out on the same interface as received. We determined
that many network topologies may be able to avoid the RPF divergence issue.
If we can determine that there will not be an issue, we should be able to
administratively turn this OPTION off. Should be "MAY", not "MUST".
-chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Rishabh Parekh [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 11:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [pim] Slight contradiction about forwarding BSM in the BSR
draft

There seems to be a slight contradiction about forwarding BSMs in the 
draft-ietf-pim-sm-bsr-03.txt

The "Forward BSM" action of Section 3 on page 17 states the following,
A bootstrap message that passes the Bootstrap Message
Processing Checks is forwarded out of all interfaces with PIM
neighbors (including the interface it is received on), except
where this would cause the BSM to cross an admin-scope
boundary for the scope zone indicated in the message.

On the other hand, in Section 3.3 on page 20, there is the following
statement
When a BS message is forwarded, it is forwarded out of every multicast-
capable interface which has PIM neighbors (excluding the one over which
the message was received).

As discussed in the last IETF meeting, the first description of forwarding
BSM 
is correct and the mistake in Section 3.3 seems to be an oversight of the 
authors.

I hope that it is corrected in the next version of the draft,
Rishabh Parekh.
_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim
_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Rishabh Parekh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 13:30:02 -0700

Chris,
I was just pointing out that the 2 sections seem to be out of sync. The 
"Forward BSM" action of Section 3 says that the BSM message should be 
forwarded back on the receiving interface while Section 3.3 says that the BSM 
message should not be forwarded back on the receiving interface. 

Regards,
Rishabh Parekh.

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 13:37:41 -0700

>message should not be forwarded back on the receiving interface. 

Thanks for pointing this out - I'll fix it.

 - Mark