Subject: [pim] PIM WG presentation time slots and charter question

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 04:58:30 -0700

If you would like some time at the next PIM WG meeting
in Minneapolis, please send me a note so I can make
sure we have enough time scheduled.

Currently I have only the following items requested:

1. discussion of PIM over P2MP LSPs
2. PIM MIB discussion

In the past, we touched on PIM over MPLS foo but this
has never been in our charter. The MPLS group thinks
it belongs in PIM and not in MPLS. I would like us
to agree before the meeting whether we want to include
this in our charter.

If you have anything else, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tom
_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Liming Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:40:27 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
> 

This subject relates to the PIM WG and the MPLS WG. The MPLS WG has
been overloaded (splitted into two groups). It is appropriate
for the PIM WG to adopt it as a WG item.

 Thanks,
-Liming

---

From: Yiqun Cai <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:25:08 -0700 (PDT)

> for the PIM WG to adopt it as a WG item.

Tom,  Liming,

When I was going through the email thread from the MPLS WG, my
understanding was that the authors would like to pursue a solution
independent of the underlying multicast routing protocol.

I'm not sure what has changed recently.  But if we adopt it as a PIM
WG item, we would assume whatever mechanism we come up with, it will
be based on PIM. Is this what we are going to decide or it is a
foregone decision?

Some clarification is appreciated.  Thanks.

-- 
Yiqun

---

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:24:33 -0700

>Some clarification is appreciated.  Thanks.

Good question.

I think that within the MPLS core, this is definitely true.
However, in order to have IP multicast originate outside the
MPLS core in a PIM domain and have it received by hosts on the
other side of the MPLS core, PIM has to be able to interface
at the edge with the P2MP MPLS core.

Most proposals that would allow this require some extensions to PIM
to cross the MPLS core. This is the work that would need to be
done in the PIM WG.

Thanks,
Tom