Subject: [pim] PIM-SM Assert NoInfo state

From: "Singh, Gurpreet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:53:42 -1000

Hi 

This is in reference to (draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-07.txt ) Section 4.6.1
Figure 10.

When a router is in "Assert Loser State"   

  "Receive Inferior Assert from Current Winner
          We receive an assert from the current assert winner that is
          worse than our own metric for this group (typically the
          winner's metric became worse).  We transition to NoInfo state,
          deleting the (S,G) assert information and allowing the normal
          PIM Join/Prune mechanisms to operate.  Usually we will
          eventually re-assert and win when data packets from S have
          started flowing again."

The NoInfo state state here refers to (S,G) Assert state machine.  

Am i correct to say that in this case the router should still maitain its
(S,G) Join state created earlier and once in (S,G) Assert NoInfo state it
should forward the (S,G) data it receives from the Source to the multicast
group G members ?

Thanks

Gurpreet

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Bandi Sarveshwar-G19441 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:51:11 +0530

Yeah you are right. The router will start forwarding on (S,G) state as a result of assert state 
machine going to no info state. The result of this is would be " we will eventually 
re-assert and win when data packets from S have started flowing again."

-----Original Message-----
From: Singh, Gurpreet [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 6:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [pim] PIM-SM Assert NoInfo state

Hi 

Thanks

Gurpreet