Subject: [pim] New I-D on PIM-SM multicast routing security (fwd)

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:36:33 +0200 (EET)

FYI,

There are already some suggestions for enhancements, maybe worth 
considering for the PIM-SM revisions.  And more in the works.

Initial feedback from the "protocol side" would be greatly
appreciated. :-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:34:15 +0200 (EET)
From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Lehtonen Rami <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Subject: New I-D on PIM-SM multicast routing security

Hello all,

When discussing the security properties of Embedded RP at the last
IETF, it was identified that it would be useful to analyze the
multicast routing security issues in general.

So, me, Rami Lehtonen and Dave Meyer got down to it.  Here's the 
result.  The main thing it lacks at the moment are concrete proposals 
on which kind of rate-limiting (etc.) mechanisms would be useful.   
We'd like to get feedback/discussion on that (and other comments are 
also very welcome).

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-savola-mboned-mroutesec-00.txt

Comments welcome.  Rami acts as the editor of the document.

Pekka, Rami & Dave

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:00:05 -0500
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce:  ;
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-savola-mboned-mroutesec-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: PIM-SM Multicast Routing Security Issues and Enhancements
	Author(s)	: P. Savola
	Filename	: draft-savola-mboned-mroutesec-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2004-1-23
	
This memo describes security threats for the larger (intra-domain, or
inter-domain) multicast routing infrastructures. Only Protocol
Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) is analyzed, in its
three main operational modes: the traditional Any Source Multicast
(ASM) model, Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) model, and the ASM model
enhanced by the Embedded RP group-to-RP mapping mechanism.  This memo
also describes enhancements to the protocol operations to mitigate
these threats.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-savola-mboned-mroutesec-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-savola-mboned-mroutesec-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-savola-mboned-mroutesec-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim