Subject: [pim] Re: DR election

From: Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:23:18 -0800

One of the two routers may join a multicast group on its p2p link 
interface. The DR on that link is responsible for initiating the 
relavant joins.

Isidor

Smith, Don wrote:
> PIM Folks,
> 
> In draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-11.txt, Protocol Independent Multicast 
> -Sparse Mode (PIM-SM):Protocol Specification (Revised), there is a comment
> 
>      We note that some PIM implementations do not send Hello
>      messages on point-to-point interfaces, and so cannot perform
>      DR election on such interfaces.  This in non-compliant
>      behavior.  DR election MUST be performed on ALL active PIM-SM
>      interfaces.
> 
> 
> Please let me know why DR election is useful even on point-to-point 
> links.  The reason for Hellos is clear, but not DR election.  Perhaps 
> I'm missing an important point.
> 
> Thanks,
> Don Smith
> 

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: "Smith, Don" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:37:01 -0600

PIM Folks,

In draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-11.txt, Protocol Independent Multicast
-Sparse Mode (PIM-SM):Protocol Specification (Revised), there is a
comment