Subject: [pim] Q: What "Assert is active" means (in PIM-SM spec)

From: Pavlin Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:55:01 -0700

In the lastest -11 I-D there are the following two paragraphs (in
Section 4.5.6 and 4.5.7 respectively):

     RPF'(*,G) changes not due to an Assert
          An event occurred which caused the next hop towards the RP for
          G to change.  This may be caused by a change in the MRIB
          routing database or the group-to-RP mapping.  Note that this
          transition does not occur if an Assert is active and the
          upstream interface does not change.
...
     RPF'(S,G) changes not due to an Assert
          An event occurred which caused the next hop towards S to
          change.  Note that this transition does not occur if an Assert
          is active and the upstream interface does not change.

What is the formal definition of "Assert is active" in the above
context? My interpretation is that it is equivalent to:
I_Am_Assert_Loser(*, G, I) (or I_Am_Assert_Loser(S, G, I)
respectively) is true for the upstream interface.

In any case, the above text may be clearer if it is modified to use
a more formal description as it is done everywhere else in the
spec.

Thanks,
Pavlin

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim