Subject: [pim] Some questions on join-attributed draft

From: Bharat Joshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 09:18:13 +0530

Hi,

    I have couple of questions:

* Can we rephrase the following statement in section 2.2:

"forward the attributes regardless if they understand the TLV's encoded
in the attribute not." to forward the attributes regardless of whether
they understand the TLV's encoded in the attribute or not.

* In section 2.2, the document says:
"If this bit is set then the TLV is forwarded upstream in case the
router does not understand that type." This seems to be conflicting with
what is mentioned just above this statement. In the first statement,
document mention to have a way to forward TLV to upstream regardless of
whether a router understands it and in this statement we say that router
will forward it when router does not understand it.

* In section 2.6, the document says:
"Attributes not processed are passed upstream unchanged.". Is this done
based on the bit defined in section 2.2 or regardless of that bit, these
TLVs are forwarded to upstream?

* In section 3.1, there is no length field in source encoding type so
how does a router will know that there are any TLVs after the source
address?

* There is no section about the "Security Consideration" in the
document.

Thanks & Regards,
Bharat

**************** CAUTION - Disclaimer *****************
This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.
***INFOSYS******** End of Disclaimer ********INFOSYS***

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:18:19 +0100

> what is mentioned just above this statement. In the first statement,

There is a difference between not understanding this option, and not
understanding a specific attribute.

> TLVs are forwarded to upstream?

I would guess so, but it's not clear. So I would like to see this
clarified.

> how does a router will know that there are any TLVs after the source

I assume you don't use this source encoding if you have no TLVs, but
this should also be made clear.

> * There is no section about the "Security Consideration" in the

Right. For it to be accepted, there must be security considerations,
and also a longer abstract.

Stig