Subject: RE: [pim] PIM Join/Prune Messages

From: "David McWalter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:39:08 +0100

Hello again Nikhil.

The message format below is from the PIM spec.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-12.txt

If your question is about logic rather than message format, then you'll need to clarify it.

DMcW.

4.9.5.  Join/Prune Message Format
 0                   1                   2                   3
 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|PIM Ver| Type  |   Reserved    |           Checksum            |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|        Upstream Neighbor Address (Encoded-Unicast format)     |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|  Reserved     | Num groups    |          Holdtime             |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|         Multicast Group Address 1 (Encoded-Group format)      |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|   Number of Joined Sources    |   Number of Pruned Sources    |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|        Joined Source Address 1 (Encoded-Source format)        |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                             .                                 |
|                             .                                 |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|        Joined Source Address n (Encoded-Source format)        |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|        Pruned Source Address 1 (Encoded-Source format)        |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                             .                                 |
|                             .                                 |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|        Pruned Source Address n (Encoded-Source format)        |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                           .                                   |
|                           .                                   |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|         Multicast Group Address m (Encoded-Group format)      |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|   Number of Joined Sources    |   Number of Pruned Sources    |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|        Joined Source Address 1 (Encoded-Source format)        |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                             .                                 |
|                             .                                 |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|        Joined Source Address n (Encoded-Source format)        |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|        Pruned Source Address 1 (Encoded-Source format)        |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|                             .                                 |
|                             .                                 |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|        Pruned Source Address n (Encoded-Source format)        |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-----Original Message-----
From: Nikhil Ninan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 03 April 2006 11:25
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [pim] PIM Join/Prune Messages

Hello there,
                Could someone tell me how does PIM combine group 
information, i.e. no. of joins and no. of prunes, on a group by group 
basis onto a single Join/Prune message.
Cheers
Nikhil

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Nikhil Ninan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:49:53 +0100

> 4.9.5.  Join/Prune Message Format
my question is about the logic not the format :-)
Cheers
Nikhil

---

From: "Christopher Thomas Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:10:49 -0400

> my question is about the logic not the format :-)

The only logic that the PIM-SM specification requires is that (S,G,rpt)
prunes for a given group must be contained in the same message as the
(*,G) join for that group. The spec also says which prunes to include if
not all of them fit in the same message.

Other than that, its implementation dependent on how one packs joins
into the periodic message.  The message format only allows up to 255
different groups. I would suggest filling a message up to the point
where it is just under or at the link MTU size (to avoid IP
fragmentaion) and spred out your messages across the interval.

Chris