Subject: [pim] About "draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-12.txt" PIM register-stop message

From: "Ying Lei\(BAN\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:30:37 +0800

Hi, 

In Section 4.9.4 Register-Stop Message Format, the Source Address is
Encoded-Unicast format, but why here describe the "wild card value", I
can't understand. 

Source Address

     The host address of the source from the multicast data packet in

     the register.  The format for this address is given in the Encoded-

     Unicast address in Section 4.9.1. A special wild card value

     consisting of an address field of all zeroes can be used to

     indicate any source.

Encoded-Unicast address

An Encoded-Unicast address takes the following format:

 0                   1                   2                   3

 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

|  Addr Family  | Encoding Type |     Unicast Address

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+...

In Encoded-Unicast address, there is no wild card field. Wild card filed
belongs to Encoded-Source address, 

Encoded-Source address

Encoded-Source address takes the following format:

 0                   1                   2                   3

 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

| Addr Family   | Encoding Type | Rsrvd   |S|W|R|  Mask Len     |

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

|                        Source Address

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-...

So, my question is: 

Which encoded address is for PIM Register-Stop message format Source
Address? Encoded-Unicast address or Encoded-Source Address? 

Best Regards

-----------------------------------

Ying Lei

UTStarcom Telecom CO.,Ltd

Email: [email-masked]

-----------------------------------

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim