Subject: RE: [pim] PIM (S,G,rpt) prune group set fragmentation

From: "Nanda Kishore S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 17:22:41 +0530

Hi,

	Your analysis is absolutely right. 

I think the group has felt that it's not needed to
handle the case as sufficiently large N can be supported
with basic maximum IP packet size. 

-Nanda kishore

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]

Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 2:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [pim] PIM (S,G,rpt) prune group set fragmentation

Hello,

In the latest PIM draft specification, section 4.9.5.2,
it is stated :

"There is an exception with group sets that contain a (*,G) Join source
list entry. The group set expresses the router's interest in receiving
all traffic for the specified group on the shared tree and it MUST
include an (S,G,rpt) Prune source list entry for every source that the
router does not wish to receive. This list of (S,G,rpt) Prune source-
list entries MUST not be split in multiple messages.

If only N (S,G,rpt) Prune entries fit into a maximum-sized Join / Prune
message, but the router has more than N (S,G,rpt) Prunes to add, then
the router MUST choose to include the first N (numerically smallest in
network byte order) IP addresses."

I don't understand why prune (S,G,Rpt) messages are not split into
multiple messages. It means that if there is more that N sources in 
a group, the PIM SPT switch will generate duplicated trafic on the
shared tree.

Do someone have an explanation about this ?

Thanks,

Hoerdt Mickael

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim